NGD -- ZumSteel Encore!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Al Evans

NGD -- ZumSteel Encore!

Post by Al Evans »

Well, I am "suffering" from an embarrassment of riches.

Through a series of unusually fortuitous circumstances, I got a brand-new ZumSteel Encore from Doug Earnest a few days ago. It's an S10 with 4 and 5, Emmons setup with Franklin pedal on the left. It has a removable arm pad.

I didn't have any specific expectations. For one thing, I'm still new to pedal steel, so I don't know what verious sorts are "supposed" to sound like. But I would have been correct to expect something unexpectedly good.

My first response was pleasure at how "immediate" and responsive the Encore is. The action is very light with all pedals and levers. Since I mostly play barefoot, I appreciate this. The guitar feels directly connected to me, and does exactly what I expect it to. The tone and sustain are everything I could wish for.

I tuned it when I got it, mostly because I tune a couple of cents sharper than 440. For a week, I only tweaked a string or a pedal now and again. Finally this morning, I went through it carefully and tuned a few things that were sounding off. It seems rock solid, and this is brand new! It seems to be all settled in already.

What else? Well, the looks -- I think it's beautiful. I am surprised how much I like the black end caps. Doug had one piece of "burled" dark-red mica left, and he suggested we use that with black sides. Over the years, I have found that builders often know more about what they're doing than I do, and I have a habit of accepting their suggestions. It once again proved to be a good habit.

And then, not only does it have everything you need, but it's got a few things that are just plain nice. Tunable splits? Check. Solid feel stop on the second string? Check. Oh, and the removable arm rest. It is absolutely perfect for me. It looks good, and stows nicely on top, reversed, with the brackets stuck in their sockets. Brilliant design.

I think that if you talk nice to Doug Earnest, he might build one for you, too. I don't see how you could possibly go wrong!

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

They are great guitars. I agree about the quick, light, and solid pedal and lever action. good tone too. When you have the the kind of experience with a guitar where it just does what your thinking AND the tone is good? Heaven on earth. Congrats on the new guitar!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It looks lovely, Al! They're superb guitars and I won't part with mine until it becomes available at my estate sale!

What's the serial #? I can't help wondering how many are now out there. Mine is 0008.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

As good as anything out there. And Doug is a great guy to boot!!!
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Roger Rettig wrote:What's the serial #? I can't help wondering how many are now out there. Mine is 0008.
Mine -- I had to ask, because it's stamped under the zero-pedal cross shaft -- is 0246.

It will get played a lot!

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

I've had mine about four years and I am always amazed about how it stays in tune no matter the temp or humidity. I frequently get comments on the tone. Thanks Bruce and Doug.
2006 Zum D10 8x8,1969 ZB Custom D10,
10 3x4 Peavey Nashville 112 Peavey LTD 400 2014 Zum Encore Wood Grain 4x5 Stage One pot pedal
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

Lyle, I'm with you
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

Thanks Greg
2006 Zum D10 8x8,1969 ZB Custom D10,
10 3x4 Peavey Nashville 112 Peavey LTD 400 2014 Zum Encore Wood Grain 4x5 Stage One pot pedal
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

Lyle, try some D'Addario NYXL'S, even better.
Brian Coulson

Post by Brian Coulson »

I love mine. Such a wonderfully made instrument that sounds great and stays in tune. My serial # is 0191.
Image[/img]
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Me too !
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

I took delivery of mine in February, 2016. It is extremely stable, tuning wise. And the tone is probably as good as any guitar I've owned (and I've owned a bunch of them). Serial number 0150.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Love mine, which looks exactly like Bob's in the preceding post.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Well, time, or waiting list time, goes by quicker than you’d think sometimes, and I got word that mine is being built this week. Pretty sweet to read of all these happy owners!
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Michael Sheehan
Location: Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021

Post by Michael Sheehan »

Doug shipped mine on Thursday, should be in my hands Monday, Aug 19th! I can hardly wait!!!!

Al, that's a beautiful color combination.
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Hi Micheal,
After all your months of anxious anticipation, the steel in en route! I can picture you sitting out on the porch at 7am Monday morning with a cup of coffee and a pair of binoculars waiting for the UPS driver. :)
I’m certain that you will be delighted with the guitar. I’m liking mine a lot. My wife hasn’t served me divorce papers yet, but I’m pushing it to the limit with all the hours I’ve been playing since it got here :) :)
Now comes the hard part. Learning how to operate the device !
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Michael Sheehan wrote:Al, that's a beautiful color combination.
Thanks! I've had it almost a year now, and I have enjoyed the heck out of playing it. In fact, I was working out an intro on it before eight this morning! :D

If yours is as good as mine, you'll be blown away.

--Al Evans
Michael Sheehan

Mark McCornack wrote:Hi Micheal,
After all your months of anxious anticipation, the steel in en route! I can picture you sitting out on the porch at 7am Monday morning with a cup of coffee and a pair of binoculars waiting for the UPS driver. :)
I’m certain that you will be delighted with the guitar. I’m liking mine a lot. My wife hasn’t served me divorce papers yet, but I’m pushing it to the limit with all the hours I’ve been playing since it got here :) :)
Now comes the hard part. Learning how to operate the device !
So glad to hear you are enjoying yours!

I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve 😅
Michael Sheehan

Al Evans wrote:
Michael Sheehan wrote:Al, that's a beautiful color combination.
Thanks! I've had it almost a year now, and I have enjoyed the heck out of playing it. In fact, I was working out an intro on it before eight this morning! :D

If yours is as good as mine, you'll be blown away.

--Al Evans
I’ll give a full report 😊👍
Michael Sheehan

Well Christmas got delayed a day! 😡

FedEx sent a message saying delivery has been pushed back a day to Tuesday the 20th 😟
Michael Sheehan

ZumSteel Encore serial number 0271 reporting for service!

Well, I got an update from FedEx that the delivery date was re-scheduled again for today! I left work as soon as I could.

On my way home, I got a text from FedEx that they attempted to deliver and they’d try again tomorrow. Well, that just wasn’t going to work for me, so I floored the bat-mobile and caught the driver in the neighborhood! I pulled my car across the road and blocked his truck from leaving, and was able to convince him to produce the package. I signed for it and loaded it into my car and raced home.

I’m now the proud owner of ZumSteel Encore by StageOne Serial Number 0271.

I love it! I sure suck at the pedal steel guitar, though, so I’ll spare you all from videos.

I’ll post a picture instead.
Michael Sheehan

David Hausner

Post by David Hausner »

Nice, I am on the list and looking at October. Can't wait.
Brian Scott

Post by Brian Scott »

Nice! I really don't mind if the end plates and pedals are not polished which adds a lot to the cost.
Doug suggested his new Hammered metal finish and I love it!
Best bang for the buck I have found!
Michael Sheehan

Brian, that’s a nice looking finish on that guitar!

FYI, the serial numbers on these can be hidden if you have a 4th pedal.

I only have 3 so I can clearly see the number: