Fender volume/tone pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Kuester

Fender volume/tone pedal

Post by Stephen Kuester »

I purchased an early 60’s fender volume/tone pedal. I bought it online. I paced by the door waiting for it to be delivered. When it arrived I left work early. Could hardly wait to get it plugged into my stringmaster.

Imagine my heartbreak when I got it plugged in only to realize the volume opens in the opposite direction. Can anything be done?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I think somebody rewired it, that's not the way it's supposed to operate.
I believe Jerry Byrd had his volume pedal set up that way. :D
Erv
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It's fairly easy to remove the bottom of the pedal. Then, you can just reverse the red and black wires on the volume pot at the front of the pedal. (You may also have to move the tone cap lead to the opposite side of the pot to get the tone part operating correctly.)

While you have the cover off the bottom, make a detailed drawing of the routing of the volume and tone pot strings. I guarantee you'll need it when either string breaks. Fender did a fantastic job designing their volume pedal, but the design of their volume/tone pedal is rather convoluted, and it's cumbersome to work on.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I think the guys that used them wired that way(reversed travel) usually stood when playing.