Phasers?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nicholas Scott

Phasers?

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Anybody have a recommendation for a phaser effect pedal? I was thinking of adding that effect to my steel setup. Looking to get the sound that Luke is getting in this tune.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pn-WIju3EE

I've been looking at the MXR Phase 95.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I use an MXR phase 90. One knob,one switch, orange case.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

DOD
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Daniel Haymore

Post by Daniel Haymore »

My favorite is a black russian EHX small stone. The new ones are good too, and priced very reasonable. I like the MXR phase 90 on guitar but not as much for steel as the small stone. I haven't tried the 95.

The Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter is really good, but more expensive than the EHX or MXR.

I would recommend the Small Stone all things considered but there are several good options.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I am looking at phasers myself and would love to find a good one with a blend knob.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I use one of these for guitar, (usually for Waylon tunes), never tried it yet on lap or pedal steel. (I haven't sorted through everything it will do!)

http://www.bossarea.com/boss-ph-3-phase-shifter/

"It's got so many levers, I don't know which one to lever, and which one to lever alone"
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Lots of great phasers out there and it’s going to come down to a combination of the sound you’re after and what else is in your signal chain. Phasers can sound really different in combination with other pedals.

I have a Phase95 which I love for the versatility. The downside for me is that while it sounds great after light overdrive, it sounds awful after heavier distortion - at least that’s the case with my rig. YMMV.
Daniel Haymore

Post by Daniel Haymore »

Chris Bauer wrote:Lots of great phasers out there and it’s going to come down to a combination of the sound you’re after and what else is in your signal chain. Phasers can sound really different in combination with other pedals.

I have a Phase95 which I love for the versatility. The downside for me is that while it sounds great after light overdrive, it sounds awful after heavier distortion - at least that’s the case with my rig. YMMV.
I agree, I have a rabbit hole fx phaser that is the best i've heard with overdrive/distortion, but to me isn't quite as good on clean tones as my small stone.
Nicholas Scott

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Luke chimed in on Facebook. Said he was using a custom 70s style phaser setting he created on a Strymon Mobius in the song I posted. Always nice to get the info straight from the source. Now which piece of gear do I part with to get one of those.....haha.

Here is a link to the pedal if anyone is interested.

https://www.strymon.net/support/mobius/ ... A8EALw_wcB
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Vintage Electro Harmonix Small Stone
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Nicholas- Thanks for posting that link.

I didn't know phase shifters were back in vogue.

I need to get out more often! :lol:
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

There is a Vintage Mu-Tron Phasor II on our local Portland Craigslist, with lots of pics, and pics the original Operating Instruction, too.
I have one. They sound pretty good but are pricey in Vintage-land.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg ... 29220.html
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I used a Phase 100 for years when I was playing more rock and alt-country. It's very intense, and worked pretty good with a Boss Tone, too! (Working in raucous bands requires more intense EFX.) Nowadays, I use subtler EFX, like the chorus in my amp, as the Phase 100 has a strength control, but not a real blend.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I had a semi expensive Phaser (Maxon) and was never happy with it. We were playing some gigs with a guy Kacey Toliver and he hit his phasor and I was like Damn! So I go check it out. It was a Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser and has that old phase sound I wanted. These things are ridiculously cheap and sound like a really good Waylon phaser.

https://www.google.com/search?q=behring ... e&ie=UTF-8
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Pete,
There is a fellow building the LuckDuck Nu-Tron II phaser now, a direct copy of the Mu-Tron in a smaller configuration.

Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

I still have my original Mutron Phaser from back in the early 70's. Nothing sounds as good.
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I have a dad mint Electro Lady Land that I do''n'tusr. I don use.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I've heard good things about the TC Electronics Helix phaser. anyone using that one ?
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

I don't know much about phasers, but I LOVE Buddy's phaser sound on "You Are So Beautiful." I think he was playing through a the built-in phaser of a Peavey Session 500.

What pedals come close to that phaser sound?
Walter Killam

Post by Walter Killam »

I have the TC electronics blood moon. The feedback knob gives some additional depth and character.
Mostly junque with a few knick-knacks that I really can't do without!
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

Karen Sarkisian wrote:I've heard good things about the TC Electronics Helix phaser. anyone using that one ?
Karen, I use the Helix and am very pleased with the sound.
Seems to have a lot of flexibility, although I only use the Vintage setting. Also true bypass switching which my old MXR and Electro Harmonix pedals don't have.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

The visual sound oil can phaser sounds great, gets good reviews, and mostly, it's cheap, for what will almost definitely be an occasional use pedal.