New Mullen Discovery vs. Used Royal Precision

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Kotsianas

New Mullen Discovery vs. Used Royal Precision

Post by Matt Kotsianas »

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the forum and wanted to get some opinions. I'm in the market for a Mullen and am wondering what the better choice would be between getting a brand new Discovery or mint-condition used Royal Precision. I can find a mint-condition RP for around the same price as a brand new Discovery. Since I'm new to PSG, is it best to buy a brand new guitar over a used one or does it really not matter? Warranty, newer parts, etc...

I like the idea of having a new one built and being able to pick the color etc, over getting lucky and finding a used one the way I'd like it. But if there are no real cons of buying used over new, I can live with that.

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Matt
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

Matt, don't be afraid to buy a "mint condition" Royal Precision, these guitars are built to last forever. I bought a 2004 RP a few months ago and it looks and plays as good as any new guitar ever delivered to me, and I have owned well over 25 new guitars, 8 or 9 of them were Mullen's. I have also owned a new Discovery which is a nice light guitar and sounds good as well, but it just wasn't for me. I prefer an SD-10 for the more comfortable knee lever placement, while others who are used to a single neck, don't mind playing one. Tommy White posted a while back how much he loved his RP. I also own a 2015 G2, which I purchased new and have no problem playing either one, as they both are professional guitars. This is a personal preference choice that only you can make, but as I said, Mullen guitars are virtually trouble free and are built to last a lifetime and I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about purchasing a used one in the condition you say it is.
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

I've owned a Discovery and a PRP D10 and they were both very well made pro instruments in every way. The Discovery is not a student model, just lighter and smaller and as far as I am aware only available is a S10, whereas RP comes in a D10 or a SD10 I believe.

Personally, I am a big fan of buying used rather than new because if you decide to sell you can get all or most of your money back. When you buy new you take a hit if you decide to sell. Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Either one would be a good decision. If my budget could afford it, I would buy new every time (I basically do) for the reasons you said. Buying new means there are no issues, or questions about any issues that a used guitar might have. But there are scores of great used guitars on the forum and elsewhere. I bought a new Royal Precision SD12 last year from Mullen. Good luck in your venture.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

Agreed, you cant go wrong with either one. If you want something lighter and smaller, get the discovery. If you want a heavier sd-10 full body, get the RP. Mullen provides outstanding support and unless it is a totally mistreated basket case of a steel, you shouldn't encounter any difficulties with a used RP.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Used RP.

The one guitar I regret selling was an '08 D-10 RP. BLACK!

I wouldn't spend anything on a student guitar. Just buy a used pro model, since you won't lose any money on it if you decide to sell. If you can afford it.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I have been playing a Discovery for about 7 years now for live work, it is an excellent guitar in every way. One of the features i adore is the fact that the end plates are not chrome but powder coated, (what an excellent idea) i never have to clean it with chrome cleaner to keep hand prints off which is hard to do in real world work horse.

The tuning is superbly stable from sun up to sun down, i do many outdoor venue's all summer long and the heat and wind and rain can be a killer (which is why i prefer a wound 6th string, it really help is these radical weather storms). If you are ok with a S10 frame, go for it, your back will love it, and you can put some wheels on the case and a handle from Menards without damaging the case, and it's light enough as it is but it does not jump around when you stomp the pedals, i give this guitar a ten out of ten!
A.K.A Chappy.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

My primary guitar is a Sho Bud Super Pro (D10). I also own a Mullen Discovery. Nothing to be ashamed of. The Discovery can hold it's own in tone. I use and like C6. I am a Bud guy.
Paul Pearson

Post by Paul Pearson »

Matt I own both discovery and a rp I dont see no difference in the two I have a rp set up in church and a discovery that I use when I play out they both play great set up with 4&5
Derrick Unger

Discovery

Post by Derrick Unger »

I love my Discovery...I put a Don Blood pad on it...most are gobbled up on the forum within hours..that should say something by itself!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112
Mike Marsh

Sophies Choice!!!

Post by Mike Marsh »

I also have both. I had a new Black 3X5 Discovery which I added a Franklin Pedal to and also a RP D10. The RP's play well for decacdes!!!! Both are smooth and fast!
Mike
Williams Series 700 4X5
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Surely, I didn't mean to disparage student guitars.
Modern ones play smooth and accurate, like a pro model.

For me, I enjoy playing fine instruments, and if buying used, there's not too much to loose buying and selling a pro model in good shape.

Worst case, you quit and sell the guitar to break even. That may or may not happen with a student model, but hey, you got to play a higher-end guitar for that time.

My apologies for being short and rude, previously. :)
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

As has been mentioned, the RP is heavier than the Discovery. Since you're a newbie, it will be a while before you have to carry it around to a gig, but sooner or later, you will, and you should think about whether you prefer something lighter and easier to transport.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

I'd get the older model if it's in good shape- it'll retain it's value unlike any new guitar, the Mullen company seems to be going strong if you want parts/ work done, and there must be some reason the RP is significantly more expensive than the discovery when new?
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

The Discovery is an S-10 (single neck, no-pad)...The RP is a double wide body with a full pad.

All the hardware (end plates, knee levers, pedal bar and neck) are high polished on the RP.

The Discovery has a wood neck and the end plates, pedals are powder coated black. The pedal bar is a satin finish...not high polished.

The "bucks" add up for the up graded "esthetics" found on the RP.