Just Curious how many wore a Derby?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Just Curious how many wore a Derby?

Post by Stu Schulman »

Just wondering how many steel players wore a Derby or still wear one?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I've been waiting to purchase mine until after I cop the solo on this tune note-for-note on a C6 6-string lap steel. I know it's on there somewhere, but to date it has proven to be sooo elusive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZHIoaapmE
Joe Krumel

buddys C6 solo

Post by Joe Krumel »

That solo always makes me smile.
Jeffrey McFadden

Post by Jeffrey McFadden »

I used to wear a derby, before I ever knew who Buddy Emmons was or what he did. I've still got one. I never put it on anymore.
Nowadays I wear a porkpie hat or a skinny brim fedora.
Well up into mediocrity
I don't play what I'm supposed to.
Home made guitars
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

A derby hat is like the PhD for steel players. I’m still very much in my beanie cap grade school era.

Maybe that solo on the song written by that other more famous derby hat sportin’ guy is possible to do on 6 string lap steel, but the guy who could have done it is no longer with us.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I wear a beanie also but mine has a propeller 😎
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

As far as I'm concerned, the derby was BE's trademark and I would NEVER consider wearing one due to the respect I have for him.

As an aside, I've wondered for a few years why musicians started wearing funny looking hats. I can see wearing a John B. Stetson or it's kin in a country bar while paying in a country band - did it myself during the 'Urban Cowboy' scare of the late 70's(?). But the purpose of these little narrow brim 'porky pie' and flat golf/newsboy caps just escapes me. Maybe I'm just not 'with it' these days.
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

If I did, it would be because I'm a member of Sons of the Desert, the worldwide Laurel & Hardy organization. (I think much of their legacy also informs my experience with steel guitar.) Having the same initials as Buddy is an impossible standard to live up to in the first place; I don't need to be a sartorial impostor.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Absolutely HATED cowboy hats. They would cover my face and all the morons that would harass me because they couldn't see my face (which I thought was a good thing), made it not worth it to wear one. I have settled on this.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Now THAT'S a hat!! ;-)
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Skip Ellis wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the derby was BE's trademark and I would NEVER consider wearing one due to the respect I have for him.
Amen to that.
Skip Ellis wrote:As an aside, I've wondered for a few years why musicians started wearing funny looking hats. I can see wearing a John B. Stetson or it's kin in a country bar while paying in a country band - did it myself during the 'Urban Cowboy' scare of the late 70's(?). But the purpose of these little narrow brim 'porky pie' and flat golf/newsboy caps just escapes me. Maybe I'm just not 'with it' these days.
Well, in my case, my wife says I have to wear a hat when I play or the lights shine off the top of my balding head. Most of my gigs aren't "country" enough for a cowboy hat so I gotta pick something... If'n ya think it's funny-lookin', well, you're prolly right. ;)

Jeffrey McFadden

Post by Jeffrey McFadden »

Skip Ellis wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the derby was BE's trademark and I would NEVER consider wearing one due to the respect I have for him.

As an aside, I've wondered for a few years why musicians started wearing funny looking hats. I can see wearing a John B. Stetson or it's kin in a country bar while paying in a country band - did it myself during the 'Urban Cowboy' scare of the late 70's(?). But the purpose of these little narrow brim 'porky pie' and flat golf/newsboy caps just escapes me. Maybe I'm just not 'with it' these days.
I wear hats because I like them.
Well up into mediocrity
I don't play what I'm supposed to.
Home made guitars
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

I wear lots of different hats when I play.

Image[/img]
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Where’s your steel player’s hat, Steve?
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I wear a cowboy hat (sombrero) to work in. The Spanish/Mexicans really knew what they were doing when the came up with it. It's good for rain, sun and any other discomfort you may find in a hard days work. I have to wear a ball cap in my truck or I will be fight the backrest on my seat, and the doorway getting in and out. Believe me, the cowboy hat is your best friend in the sun - and, they look cool too! If I wear a hat with my steel, it will be cowboy.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Sometime, when I wear mine, it's out of respect for "the man".
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Ken Boi

Post by Ken Boi »

Steve Green wrote:I wear lots of different hats when I play.
Steve,

You play lots of different guitars when you play. :D
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Never wore a derby but came within an inch of accidently sitting on The Big E's about 35 yrs. ago during a TV taping. That woulda' been really embarrassing!! Mr. Emmons laughed 'til he nearly cried when he heard about the near miss a bit later. Oh... he wasn't wearing it. He had set it on a pac-a-seat.

Chris "Tiny" O.