Steel guitar fretboard mapping app

New products of interest to steel guitarists
Hyram Ballard

Steel guitar fretboard mapping app

Post by Hyram Ballard »

Probably of no interest at all to the pros here but a few newbies like me just starting out may find it useful. Custom copedents, tunings, scales, intervals, chords, it looks well thought out.

https://steelsidekick.com

————————
1980’s MSA Classic XL S-12 5&4
Regal Black Lightning
Vintage Style “O” replica
Hilo
Custom Telecaster
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

A very helpful app, even for non-noobs. I’ve been using it for about a year.
Margaret Wilson

Post by Margaret Wilson »

This looks great! I'm sad there's no Android app.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

This is not pro or con to the app, just a comment on the learning process.....

If you are a newbie I hope someone has explained the importance of memorizing the intervals and where they are found....Intervals are a musicians math ... Look at all the 20 somethings that were allowed to use calculators in school instead of writing them over and over which prompts memorization...Now the calculator generation can no longer give us change with out looking at a calculator. Music is a series of easy to remember mathematical combinations. Why put a calculator between you and the strings? The shortest path is to memorize.

Paul
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Yes, Paul. Thank you for your concern.

Your recent explanation of intervalic improvisation is what prompted me to go back to this app and start using it again. It gives you the choice of using note names or scale numbers when mapping the notes. It is easier to see intervals by using note numbers rather than note name. My plan is that once I get the numbers down for one or two keys, the intervalic relationships will become apparent for all keys. I think it is starting to sink in.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

I used to get guitars in for servicing with little note name stickers all over the fret board and think, "What a waste of time". As a teacher, I really emphasized scale degree (numbers) and intervals. So much more useful; especially in understanding chord theory. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

interesting review on the app’s page! :lol:
Doug Cassell

Post by Doug Cassell »

Mike Neer wrote:interesting review on the app’s page! :lol:
Mike, do you have a link? I'm not finding the review on the link posted by the OP above.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

It’s on iTunes page

Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Franklin wrote:This is not pro or con to the app, just a comment on the learning process.....

If you are a newbie I hope someone has explained the importance of memorizing the intervals and where they are found....Intervals are a musicians math ... Look at all the 20 somethings that were allowed to use calculators in school instead of writing them over and over which prompts memorization...Now the calculator generation can no longer give us change with out looking at a calculator. Music is a series of easy to remember mathematical combinations. Why put a calculator between you and the strings? The shortest path is to memorize.

Paul
Thanks Paul!

And yes where is the app for Droids?
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

The Steel Sidekick app diplays chord intervals based on the tonic of the chosen key rather than the root of the chord. For example, if you want to map the notes of a Dm chord and you are in the key of C, the map will refer to the chord intervals 2-4-6 rather than 1-b3-5. This leads to some conflubstergation when you get into 4-note chords. Dm7 would show as 2-4-6-1, Dm6 2-4-6-7. If you change the key of the scale to D Minor, then you get accurate interval numbers for the Dm chord.

This is a major (and minor...) flaw with the app, and if ever an upgrade was in order... Nonetheless, I think it is a helpful tool for memorization and I still refer to it often.