Rob Anderson from Edmonton has left us.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

John Lacey

Rob Anderson from Edmonton has left us.

Post by John Lacey »

On Wed. June 13 steel guitarist and guitarist Rob Anderson passed away due to a blood infection. He was the steel player for Brian Sklar’s “Prairie Fire” and later morphed into the Tex Pistols. Lost contact with him the last few years but also enjoyed our visits together. He’s going to be missed by many.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

Thank you John, for posting this unfortunate information about Rob. I'm sorry to hear of Rob's passing.

RIP, Rob.
Mark Kuziak

Post by Mark Kuziak »

I’m so glad that John started this thread. I was shocked when I got this news on Friday. I was a young rookie in the early 80’s playing with Rob for Joyce Smith. He was incredibly talented and taught me so much about being on stage and how to back up a singer. His knowledge of musical theory was passed on to him from his father and he was always more than willing to help you out. His work with Brian Sklar on their shows was an inspiration to me. He will be missed dearly in the music community. Rest in peace my friend. Mark
Sean Borton

Post by Sean Borton »

Yes - it was a sad day for many Canadian musicians.... Rob was a respected musician, and a great friend to many.

Here is a very nice sample of his playing... circa 1990.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH11ys1jRL0

and something a little snappier...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn36dSijESw
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

I am sorry to hear of this. There is a lot of Rob's work on Youtube from when he was the steel player on the 'No. 1 West' tv show. Prairie Fire was a great band I am still enjoying Rob's playing on those excerpts from the show.
Dennis Manuel

Post by Dennis Manuel »

I am shocked to say the least. Rob and I were friends when he lived in Williams Lake, BC. I respect you Rob as both a great person and musician. Meet you on the flipside.
Dale Rivard

Post by Dale Rivard »

Sorry to hear this. Although I never met Rob or got to see him play live, I certainly respect the work he did. Prayers for his family and friends. On a side note, I believe I owned the guitar pictured, for a short time.
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Sorry to read about his passing.I enjoy watching Rob on the No.1 West TV show posts on youtube. He was really talented as is the rest of the Prarie Fire Band and the girl backup singers. They appreciate real country music.