Franklin & Emmons p/p - comparing tone

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Horch

Post by Jerry Horch »

I remember Mr Rugg playing that Franklin at the convention in 90, and complimenting Paul Sr.on the sound of his guitar during his set.I believe I ordered mine from Sr.either that year or the following.I hung out with my friend girl ,Sue Parkhouse from England,rest her soul.....what wonderful memories .
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Erv, if you check out the Nashville Pro videos that have Mike Johnson, you will see him playing a black Franklin. I assume he uses it when recording? Also, I think the Red Emmons is a Lashley LaGrande, but could be wrong about that.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Tore might Be better to see if we could guess which steel u were playing honestly I couldn’t I here any difference. Just sounded like a playback or loop Next time I listen I’ll use my hereing aids.. But I did here a beautiful tone congrats
Eddy Dunlap

Post by Eddy Dunlap »

Mike records with a Franklin. Greg, "The Lighthouse," was a Show-Pro, on the cd with various steelers called, "The Show-Pros,"
Sven Kontio

Post by Sven Kontio »

Mike´s "famous red" is a 1982 push pull w/ orig BL 705´s. He cares very much for that guitar - he´s had it for many, many years. He doesn´t fly it to gigs - he brings a LLG for those occasions. He records w/ his Franklin. When you get to hear him pick at the Station Inn he mostly picks the 1982 PP.
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

to me the 2nd sample sounds best, nice low end growl, singing highs... it will also work best in a band context. just m h o.
Greg Derksen

Post by Greg Derksen »

Eddy Dunlap wrote:Mike records with a Franklin. Greg, "The Lighthouse," was a Show-Pro, on the cd with various steelers called, "The Show-Pros,"
Stellar tone IMO. Very similar sound to his Classic "I never go around Mirrors"

Just a Great player, nice set of hands on that guy, The Lighthouse has that cool intro , where you can really here the richness of the sound , by itself.

Cool on the Show Pro.

Greg
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Some years ago Clem Schmidt came out with a modification to a p/p pull that eliminated the slack that you have to have in some of the changer rods in order to both raise and lower a string.
According to Clem, he installed that mod on Mike Johnson's guitar.
Does anybody know anything about that?
Erv
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Erv, Do not know anything about that but just want to inject that I think sound track #2 was the clearest even though I still do not know what guitar it was. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

J R,
I saw Clem demonstrating that mod on the internet.
He had the mod covered up so you couldn't see what was done to the guitar, so that's all I know about it.
Jeffrey Snyder

Post by Jeffrey Snyder »

I, like Henry, prefer the sound of No. 3 for my tastes. Warm and rich tone. All 3 are very nice.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks