Carter starter or GFI starter?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnie King

Carter starter or GFI starter?

Post by Johnie King »

Value of a Carter starter. or would go with another brand of starter model? Maybie a GFI?
Last edited by Johnie King on 24 May 2018 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sidney Ralph Penton

carter starter

Post by Sidney Ralph Penton »

i wouldn't bother with a starter model and here is why a month or so down the road your going to want a pro model. starter models are hard to get rid of. one other thing doug earnest makes a fine zum called a encore. this guitar you can make changes to it can be set up day or emmons and they sound really good. and not bad priced either.
Mike Marsh

Value?

Post by Mike Marsh »

I can tell you they sell easily for $900 with the hard case and $100 less without case.
The Zum Encore is more than a notch above in quality and Value. Of course, they get $1595-1725
New.
2 cents,
Mike
Williams Series 700 4X5
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

There's nothing about the Zum Encore that says 'starter model' - it's a first class pro level instrument.

The only concession is its somewhat utilitarian appearance - mechanically and sonically it's a dream!

I had occasion many years ago to try to play a Carter Starter. A pupil brought it to my house and I sat behind it. I was frustrated by the lack of any positivity in the pedals and knee-levers so I can only imagine how my pupil felt!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Andrew Krebs

Post by Andrew Krebs »

I was able to snag one for $750.00 but from what I hear that is about $200-$300 lower than what is normal.

The 3x4 has been plenty for learning, and I should be able to play most of the stuff I am personally interested in for now. What I will say is that it is a little rickety in the legs and I can't even imagine what the pedals and levers feel like on a more professional model compared to this thing. I've just been making do.

Still for me I was absolutely determined to start playing the instrument and the price was so good I decided to stop groveling and go for it.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You get what you pay for. :roll:
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

The Starter does perfectly what it was designed to do... To get someone learning pedal steel at a minimal cost. If they take to it, they may move up... If they don't they are not out much money. There has never been a better "$800 Pedal Steel" made (inflation-adjusted). The Encore, Stage-One, Discovery, Etc. are better instruments... but they are in the next class up and shouldn't be compared to the Starter.

With that being said, I have kept mine and still like using it in small venues. All it needed was a different pickup, the original hummed too much.

If it gets you playing and loving it... then you've made the right decision!
Jon Schimek

Post by Jon Schimek »

I recently helped a friend out in selling their Carter Starter. I was expecting it to be a lot worse. It definitely feels less solid and is less configurable than other guitars,but I was fairly impressed. It is functional and stayed in tune. It was light and sounded good. If it's all you know and are just beginning I think its a great guitar. If you are still playing it in 6 months then save up for a lacquer MSA/Dekley.

Also I saw several of these pop up and sell quite quickly. I actually bought/sold the one I had for under $500 which only gets you a couple knee levers on a pro guitar.
MSA Vintage-XL, Pre-RP Mullen
Nashville 400 w/blackbox, Space Echo.
Donald Brigner

Carter Starter

Post by Donald Brigner »

I have a Carter Starter that I began with. I did put a George-L EON pickup on it and I had to have an experienced player set up pedals and knees back when I started but It's a great sounding little guitar if you take cost and weight into consideration. I'm an old fart and just a newb of sorts but I keep it to take to jam sessions with my little Peavey Nashville 112. My bad knees and back enjoy the experience a lot more. My Sho-Bud and Fender Twin pretty much stay put here at home unless there are young fellows that want to haul it for me. It's nice to have options. BTW - it does stay in tune well with SIT Carter Starter strings, even in the case. I have less than 1000 invested in the guitar, hard shell case, Goodrich pedal and the George-L.
Tim Herman

Post by Tim Herman »

Johnie, if you want a Carter Starter, I have a friend who is looking to sell theirs. This little guitar has the better knee lever setup. PM me for some pics and a video of the guitar in action. It plays and sounds really good.
Jeff Harbour

Re: Carter starter or GFI starter?

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Johnie King wrote:... Maybie a GFI?
Again, the GFI student model is superior to the Starter... But is in the next class.

One big thing though that I keep forgetting to factor in is that you can't get a new Starter (as I did). So, the ones I mentioned in the 'next class' have that advantage.

As for GFI's in general, you can't beat the quality at that cost. I've played a GFI Ultra D-10 for eleven years now, and I have no need to seek out anything else yet.
Benjamin Davidson

Post by Benjamin Davidson »

I've started my playing on a GFI Student Model.

I have no complaints about it. You have a few concessions you need to make with a pull/release changer, but all the cross members and bell cranks can be modified to suit within those confines. I passed on a simliarly price Carter because you couldn't on the model I looked at.

I already had a Justice on order, this GFI is only staying around till it shows up (so I can actually play the Justice when it gets here). For an entry level steel I cant see a better answer, just buy it used.

I was fortunate to get a great deal shopping around for the GFI, and though it was a 3x2 when I got it - it took about an hour with the kit to make it 3x4. I fully expect to get my investment back in full when I sell it.