Looking for info about this bar-mounted volume pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

G. Robertson

Looking for info about this bar-mounted volume pedal

Post by G. Robertson »

Can anyone tell me who made this pedal? Was it made for a specific brand or are there parts missing that allow it to be mounted and used with any guitar? I've got a Sho Bud Professional D10. Thanks!
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

That's an Emmons VP. For several years they, for whatever reason, didn't stamp their name on them.
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Thanks, Bobby.
Was it made just for Emmons guitars or can you get parts to use it with others? I recall seeing a pedal rail mounted pin that the pedal dropped on to in my travels. I'll do some research but if you (or anyone) knows a parts source please let me know.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

It was made for an Emmons gtr, but they can be attached to other steels with a little tinkering. I've used one on a Sho-Bud for many years.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I bought one of those years ago in a thrift store for two bucks,I sent it to Josh Dubin in Nashville,Emmons?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

That pedal was made so when steel players on the Grand Ole Opry needed to move their guitar, the foot volume control would stay with the instrument.
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

Is that a 'drop pin' model?
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

It appears to be. I looked it up and saw an 'L' bracket with it which I believe attached to the guitar's pedal rail. That 'L' bracket had a pin that the volume pedal's swivel bearing would seem to drop onto.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

This type of pedal came in two different configurations: "fixed" pin and "drop" pin.
This one is a drop pin.
Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore »

When I got my first MSA I got one at same time. Had drop pin setup like in picture. Bob M
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Anyone know where to get the pin bracket for the volume pedal that attaches it to the pedal bar of the steel?
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

The L bracket is not important, but you definitely need the 2 "feet" that support the adjustment screws. My Carters just had the hole for the pin and two 1"×2 1/2" tabs screwed into bottom of the pedal bar.
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Thanks, John. But not sure what you mean. As seen in the pics earlier in the thread, my pedal has 2 height adjustment screws with feet. Is that what you mean by " but you definitely need the 2 "feet" that support the adjustment screws." ?

It appears what is needed is a bracket with a pin that attaches to the pedal bar that the pedal can drop on to.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Jim Moran posted this picture on a thread...

Perhaps Jerry Roller, Billy Knowels, or somebody can get you one, if you’re to ask them? Best to ya!
“TONESNOB”
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Well, that makes more sense to me now out of what John mentioned. I see the 2 "tabs" the pedal feet would sit on. But no pin on the bracket....so I'm still not sure what I'm looking at in your pic. Maybe my pedal has missing parts.

I'd think the swivel bearing on the pedal that the pin fits into would be the only contact with a mounting bracket. So as to allow the pedal to swivel slightly left to align with your foot rather that be kept at a right angle by the "tabs."
I'll contact those folk for more info.

Much thanks, Jim and John.
Tom Sosbe

pedal

Post by Tom Sosbe »

pm sent
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Well G, I must admit, after further examination, the pic I (re)posted is a “fixed pin” bracket/pedal...my mistake!
Here you go:

Sorry for the misinformation there... :oops:
“TONESNOB”
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

No problem, Edward. I appreciate it. I'm getting an education here about it.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Take a look a Emmons guutars. They all came from the factory setup for that pedal. You're missing the removable pin. Im not sure of the size, but a GeorgeL tuning wrench will workvas replacement.