Tablature for Walking Piece of Heaven break by Lloyd Green

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Jan Jonsson

Tablature for Walking Piece of Heaven break by Lloyd Green

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hello again,

I'm very pleased to be able to share my transcription of Lloyd Green's steel break on "Walking Piece of Heaven" recorded by the Calhoun Twins. I worked on a transcription of this a few years ago, but put it on hold as it had some passages that I could not figure out at that time. But, now seeing that the tune has received some attention on the forum I took another shot at it.

I would like to thank Lloyd for his approval of my sharing a transcription of a steel break that, in my opinion, is one of his most beautiful performances ever.

The transcription will be available shortly in the repository on Walter Stettner's tribute web site, but in the meantime you can download the document from here:

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~janjo/Music ... _break.pdf

Best regards,

-- Jan
CDs: Waltz for Elma (2015), Steel Reflections (2009)
Gear: 10-string Desert Rose "Delta Blues", Fender Deluxe 8, Fender CS Nocaster
Transcriptions of Lloyd Green's music: www.lloydgreentribute.com (Tablature menu)
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Thanks for posting this!
Bill Sutton

Post by Bill Sutton »

Thanks Jan...Another Jewel...I love it.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

That is something like I have never seen before. Lloyds mind is brilliant.
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hi,

There is now also a transcription of the steel intro of the same song in the repository on Walter Stettner's tribute web site.

Best regards,

-- Jan
Transcriptions of Lloyd Green's music: www.lloydgreentribute.com (Tablature menu)
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

Thanks! Looks Great!
Williams Guitar Purveyor, Owner of jeffsguitarandsteel.com
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Thank you Jan. I printed off and now working on it. There are some really great moves on this one.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Keep 'em coming, Jan! :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I've spent a lot of hours learning to play this tab!

It contains some revolutionary ideas and some moves that require a lot of muscle memory training to perfect. I had no idea how Lloyd made some of these sounds! There's at least 5 riffs contained in this tab that can be used separately in many types of songs. Four distinct bar slants, the extensive use of the 2 string full tone lower in new settings yield a lot of great new sounds.

For example the bar slant that raises the second string a half tone makes that string the root note while moving the bar up two frets with no slant and pressing the 2nd string whole tone lower maintains the root note on the 2nd string while allowing the 6th string to go from a 3rd note to a 5th note. Effectively this duplicates the pedal that raises the 6th string 1 1/2 tones. Very difficult to execute but it also sounds different that using the 1 1/2 tone pedal.

The use of the 2nd string lower in this case also gives a continuous flow of double stop notes that could be played elsewhere but would not sound as good, as continuous or as clear as using strings 2 and 3.

So this tab has really provided me with 5 distinct and usable new riffs/sounds as well as a ton of ideas for playing in new pockets of notes. Lloyd's latest ideas are quite revolutionary IMHO.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I recorded this little ditty by taking some of the ideas in the Lloyd Green tab above, moving them to lower frets and adding a little twist. Uses two bar slants and the 2nd string whole tone lower.

Hear It!
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hi Greg.

Your little ditty sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

It's so great that these techniques of using the second string can now be added to the toolbox. There are so many beautifully-sounding musical passages hiding in there, as you have just demonstrated.

-- Jan
Patrick McHenry

Post by Patrick McHenry »

Wow Jan this is amazing, really great job just wow
LDG Sho Bud '73, Mullen Disco, Milkman

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com