Session 500 String Effect mod?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Karl Nutt

Session 500 String Effect mod?

Post by Karl Nutt »

Would it be possible to mod the string effect distortion in the Session 500 to be more like a tube screamer overdrive or similar? The stock sound has it more in the big muff realm. It would be nice to get a bluesier tone rather than the Hendrix tone!
Mike Brown

Session 500

Post by Mike Brown »

Actually, the mindset at the time that the Session 500 was designed was for the string effect to emulate a fiddle. Comes pretty close with the right playing technique.
Karl Nutt

Post by Karl Nutt »

Hi Mike! I actually used to use it in that manner in the early 80's when I bought my first Session 500 (small cabinet too!). Playing unison strings just slightly off pitch to create a chorusing effect seemed to work best. Now, it seems like everybody has a keyboard player... so we've been forgotten! I was just doing a little brain storming with the idea of "updating" the effect. I've just bought another Session 500 (large cabinet) and have been rediscovering just how good those old amps still sound. I also have a Session 400 with the factory JBL, an LTD also with the factory JBL, a Vegas 400, a Nashville 400, a Nashville 1000, and a Nashville 112. I'm hoping to find a deal on both a Session 400 Limited and locate another small cabinet Session 500. I'm also seriously considering a new Session 115. I also have 2 Evans FET 500's and 3 Twin Reverbs... so as you can see, I NEED another amp! LOL I love my Peavey amps! My Nashville 1000 has performed flawlessly since having been worked on at Peavey while under warranty, and all of the others have never had a problem. Great stuff! BTW, is the 1501 Neo Black Widow available seperately for purchase? Thanks!
Mike Brown

Peavey

Post by Mike Brown »

Good deal. Unfortunately, the 1501-4 neo BW speaker is available only in our newest steel guitar amplifiers, ie; Session 115 and 115N extension speaker cab.

We appreciate the support and will continue to support your sound reinforcement needs in the future.
Jack Goodson

New peavey speakers

Post by Jack Goodson »

That is too bad mike, as I have a couple of Ltd 400,s that I would like to install them in.....thanks jack