Jerry Byrd - Day Dream

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

Jerry Byrd - Day Dream

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I thought I knew most of Jerry's recordings, but I must have missed this one. It's on his Potpourri album. I love the otherworldly sound of it, and the awesome harmonics.

------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS9YjdqFX1o
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Don't you just hate it when you see a video on YouTube that you really want to watch only to find out that for whatever reason its not available!!!!!
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Such expressive playing!

I am a reluctant fan of the vocal chorus, and have learned to appreciate the vibraphone in "exotica" , decent flute part - this is pretty sweet!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I know what you mean. Sometimes the backing is kinda lame, but the steel is so evocative and expressive it outweighs everything else IMO. I really like Exotica. It transports the listener to a far away, mystical world. That's what it does for me anyway.
Former Member

Post by Former Member »

That is so good it's almost unbelievable!!
Valley of the roses too..
Sounds like his old bakelite. I defy anyone to play those tunes like that.
I'm gonna see if I can find a copy of that album.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, it sounds like his bakelite Rick, but this was 1966 and by that time he was playing his Rick JB model and his Fender S-8 custom-built to his specs.

He was an absolute master of harmonics. So accurate and strongly executed. "Indian Love Call" is another good example. ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDfTuvAMWyU

I wonder if he was influenced by Santo & Johnny in the 1960s? I hear a lot of single string / single note slides in these songs, much like Santo's playing, and a little different from his earlier style.
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

I think it must be an international problem. I live in the UK. It happens quite a lot. Not sure why!
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Doug Beaumier wrote:I know what you mean. Sometimes the backing is kinda lame, but the steel is so evocative and expressive it outweighs everything else IMO. I really like Exotica. It transports the listener to a far away, mystical world. That's what it does for me anyway.
Yeah me too. I like it a lot, it's so kitschy but cool.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I can do without all the back ground chorus etc, but that's how it was done in those days. Jerry's old stuff from the 40s & 50s is easier for me to listen to. And his bakelite sound was great.. I have an LP ALBUM from when Jerry backed up Guy Mitchell, in a country flavored album. Great backup ...
Andy DePaule

Yes I do hate it...

Post by Andy DePaule »

Mike A Holland wrote:Don't you just hate it when you see a video on YouTube that you really want to watch only to find out that for whatever reason its not available!!!!!
Yes I do hate it! :cry:
Just happened to me too. Sometimes youtube is strange.
Will try again later. :roll: ;-) :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Thanks, Doug. That was a new one on me - almost theremin-like at times. I too like exotica though I have trouble with vocal backing. The cover is pretty wild as well. What were they thinking? Kitsch cool! Checking out some of the other cuts from this strange LP ..... this one almost sounds like a Shadows record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7taObPLEEQ
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Tonu Timm

Post by Tonu Timm »

not available:(
GFI Ultra SD-10, BearCreek Weissenborn, Hermann Baritone Weiss, National Polychrome Tricone, Fender Champ Lapsteel, Quiter Micropro Mach 2 HD, Nashville 112, Zirconia bars, Bob Perry picks...
Jouni Karvonen

Post by Jouni Karvonen »

Here's the link for Potpourri album:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1ldylyaLPIYsdyLN4r4ZJo
Andy DePaule

Thank you Jouni

Post by Andy DePaule »

Jouni Karvonen wrote:Here's the link for Potpourri album:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1ldylyaLPIYsdyLN4r4ZJo
Thank you Jouni.
Getting this with every link on this thread was so frustrating for a Jerry Byrd fan.
Andy :D

Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Thank you also Jouni.
I assume because it was on YouTube there may have been a video for it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Too bad that 30 second clip on Spotify is the flute solo from the song! They should have featured the head, played in harmonics, beautifully executed. When Jerry recorded this album, 1966, instrumental music was in a different place than it had been ten years earlier. Surf guitar, spy themes, exotica, and the #1 pop hit Sleep Walk. I think the record company had all of that in mind. Just my opinion.

The backing on this album sounds a lot like the backing on Jerry's "Satin Strings of Steel" album (his prior LP). Probably the same arranger and orchestra. It took me a while to get used to the orchestra on Satin Strings, but now I love it. I focus on Jerry's backup playing when the violins play the melody. He plays beautiful backup to the orchestra, usually in harmonics.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Much of the rest of the Potpourri album is unlistenable, for me. Jerry's fine playing overwhelmed by awful arrangements.

You can download an mp3 of the Day Dream track from Amazon for a dollar and change.
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

Thanks for the link Doug. So cool! Almost Theremin-like in some spots. Could've been a soundtrack to "One Step Beyond" or something!
Jackson Pro-IV D-10, Fender Dual-Pro 8, Epiphone Zephyr-6
Andy DePaule

Right, The producer....

Post by Andy DePaule »

Rick Stratton wrote:Thanks for the link Doug. So cool! Almost Theremin-like in some spots. Could've been a soundtrack to "One Step Beyond" or something!
Right, The producer should have faced a firing squad! :eek: :lol:
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

I was only commenting on the 1st song linked. I haven't heard the rest of the LP, but of course I like weird stuff!
Jackson Pro-IV D-10, Fender Dual-Pro 8, Epiphone Zephyr-6
Steven Cummings

Written by Roy Orbison but he never recorded it apparently..

Post by Steven Cummings »

Lookin' on the sunny side....
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Valley of the Roses is awesome. As always, Jerry's harmonics are as clear as a bell. Like Buddy Emmons said, his playing was "head and shoulders" above the others.

Here's a cool live clip of Kayton Roberts playing Valley of the Roses ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpY8et1j-iI
Steffen Gunter

Post by Steffen Gunter »

Just listened on Spotify to Day Dream hoping it would be the title made famous by Johnny Hodges. It is not the same song but the first line of the head is exactly like Brian Setzer's Hollywood Nocturne – which Setzer completely stole from Billy Strayhorn's Absinthe (released on Ellington's Afro Bossa album) without crediting Strayhorn.

It's a nice Exotica title anyway and as always outstanding playing by JB!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Just listened to JB playing all of these suggestions on Spotify. Day Dream in particular is just exquisite. Byrd had incredible control and technique and even today his work stands up against any non pedal playing of the last 40 or 50 years. Thanks Doug - this has made my day.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,