Peavey powerslide bridge question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Nick Anderson

Peavey powerslide bridge question

Post by Nick Anderson »

I have seen powerslides with a compensated angle at the bridge and some that have a straight across bridge. Logic tells me that with a lap/raised string instrument, the saddles should be straight across.

Looking for input on if the compensated saddle plays with the intonation enough to tell. Of course, bottle neck players deal with compensated bridges all the time and they're fine.

I'm looking at buying a bridge from guitar fetish. It is compensated.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Lap-Steel- ... 26371.html

Thanks
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Give it a try........it's $8....maybe try it on a steel you use to experiment with first. If it works then transfer it to a good one you would like it to be on.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

For a Steel Guitar, I think that I would angle the Whole Assembly so that the saddles are perpendicular to the strings.

Good Luck with The Project! 8)
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

If you're putting screws in new places for the bridge, make sure there is some sort of retention plate where the screws go. Those Powerslides are built kind of like a surf board. Foam core with a somewhat thin shell outer (some sort of plastic).
I know because I had one delivered that was cracked open.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The Robert Randolph model shows a compensated bridge, the reg. Powerslide doesn't? I dunno, maybe these pics haven't been upgraded. https://peavey.com/products/electric-gu ... m#series-4

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a couple cheap lap steels that have the compensated bridges that aren't intonatable. One of them is a Rondo SX short scale.
I've never had any intonation problems related to the bridge design.

I suppose, a straight bridge on a fixed tuned instrument might be ideal, but like you said, lots of players play slide on reg guitar with reg guitar bridges.