Drilling holes for keyhead

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Metz Jr.

Drilling holes for keyhead

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

I am finishing up a lap steel build and am about to attach the Key head. Its threaded on the bottom for machine screws. I Am having trouble figuring out the best way to determine where to drill the holes in the wooden body so that they meet the holes in the key head perfectly. I suppose they could be a bit oversized for adjustment but I'd rather not. I hope I am describing my issue clearly.
Thanks
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Turn keyhead upside down so that the screw holes are facing up.
Lay a piece of the lightest paper you can find over the keyhead.
Using the side of a pencil's point, 'shade' over the keyhead, getting a silhouette of the keyhead and capturing the holes. Mark left/right so you can keep your orientation when you flip it. If you can't see though the paper well enough, you can cut out the shape and you can punch through the enter of the screwhole marks with a sharp point.
Lay the template over the body and position it where you want it. Center punch the screw holes into the wood and drill. Bingo.
Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Thanks Jon,
I indeed have already done as you described. I ran into another issue which is that the head of my lapsteel is shaped to the headstock and the aluminum keyhead allows for closer tolerances than wood. So the holes are nearly 1/16" from the edge of the head. I am sure the wood would chip out if I try drilling a large enough hole.

My original idea was to epoxy the keyhead to the body but I have since glued a veneer over the head of guitar so I would essentially be epoxying the keyhead to a veneer. Im not certain if the string pressure would pull up the veneer or break it under the keyhead.....Quite a pickle Im in.
Thanks
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Drill and tap some new holes in the thickest area of the keyhead, then do as Jon suggested.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I agree that gluing to the veneer ain't happening.
Off the top of my head, the first thing I can think of is cutting a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet to match the headstock shape (solid, not cutting out the inside of the keyhead), screw it to the keyhead and then screw the whole unit to the wood from the top. No blind screws so not so elegant but....
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

-or-
Mount that plate to the underside of the guitar. That ought to protect the wood.
Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Yeah the plate from the top would work, but it would defeat the purpose of the veneer, as it would cover it up. Im thinking about doing as Bill Moore suggested. Its almost the only other option. Im sure theres something Im not seeing. Ill grab a few shots and maybe that will help. Thanks for the help all!
Bobby D. Jones

Drilling holes for key head

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Have you already drilled holes and they do not line up. OUCH. Are you using the veneer to cover the holes?

Drill new holes and tap as suggested by Bill Moore.
Once new holes are drilled and tapped. Get a set of Allen head set screws with same thread. Screw in till about 1/6" extends past the key head surface. Position the key head carefully, hold and tap lightly with a mallet. This should make small dents in the wood. Mark the center of each dent. Center punch and drill. Good Luck on the project.
Jim Schatz

Post by Jim Schatz »

Jeff, you can use Transfer screws,they screw in the holes in your key head,then set the key head down where you want it and press it down.It will leave marks right where you want them perfect. Jim
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I use a #40 drill where I want the holes, and a brad point drill to size of the tuner posts. ..
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Bill is on target, Brad point drills. Use a scrap piece to practice.