How are stainless steel tone bars made?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Judson

How are stainless steel tone bars made?

Post by Alan Judson »

I was just thinking about how steel tone bars are made?
Where does the steel come from? Do you use a lathe for the end or a grinder? What about the bit of plastic on the butt end with the logo on it, how do those get set?
Just curious.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well, since no one else has volunteered, I'll make some educated guesses:

The steel bar (long lengths of it) comes from a metal supplier.

I'd guess most all bars are both made and polished on a lathe.

The ends are likely rounded on a lathe, too, as grinders really make a lot of dust and mess.

The plastic end-plugs are a press-in fit, and could be done with an arbor press or even a plastic mallet.

Lastly, some of them are chrome plated. (Manufacturers sub out this operation due to the involved processes and hazardous materials used.)
Bill L. Wilson

Polishing the Bar.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

The bars are probably polished in a Centerless Grinder. It’s what we used in a machine shop I worked in yrs. ago. We built bomb lifts for the military and certain pins had to be sized to the thousandth of an inch.
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

It must have been the early 70's when Russ "H.V." Russell was working part time for ZB in Phoenix as a machinist when he had me watch him make my bar on a lathe from a piece of round stainless stock. He turned it down to the size that felt good then polished it all on the lathe. After the end was curved down as for as possible on the lathe he cut it leaving a small flat spot on the end that was then polished and stamped ZB. And just before the final polish he hollowed it out till I liked the weight. Then I believe he just gave it to me! Since then it's the only bar I've ever used.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Jerry Korkki wrote:It must have been the early 70's when Russ "H.V." Russell was working part time for ZB in Phoenix as a machinist when he had me watch him make my bar on a lathe from a piece of round stainless stock. He turned it down to the size that felt good then polished it all on the lathe. After the end was curved down as for as possible on the lathe he cut it leaving a small flat spot on the end that was then polished and stamped ZB. And just before the final polish he hollowed it out till I liked the weight. Then I believe he just gave it to me! Since then it's the only bar I've ever used.

that is a great story... I would do the same thing as you, and use it to play music in a memory of one good man... :)
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

Thanks Damir, I don't mean to get off topic but Russ was a great guy. Before he left AZ he lived a few blocks from my folks so when I'd visit I would sometimes bring the SD10 Rus-ler I had at the time and have him add knee levers, rewind a PU and overall tweak my guitar at his shop in his garage. Never charged me enough for his time. That guitar fit me like a glove, I still kick myself for selling it.
Last edited by Jerry Korkki on 5 Feb 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

They are made "by Jim Burden, Bullet Bars".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Jim makes a good bar ! Had mine for
Several years and love it
D.S. Rigsby