Donnie Southers

Matchbox 7A

Post by Donnie Southers »

Need advice or opinions...
Thinking of getting a Matchbox 7A.
Questions:

(1 Value of a used unit???

(2 Will help my sustain overall???

(3 Would you do without yours if you own one???
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Most of the ones I've seen go for around $150 used, maybe slightly more if they're the later model. Players usually bought them for use as a "buffer" as well as the distortion effect, and the tone control was also an advantage for some players.

They won't do anything at all for sustain. You'll eventually discover (as most of us do) that the majority of the "sustain" players talk about is in the way you use the volume pedal and amp, though playing technique and the guitar itself also contribute to the overall effect.

I tried one many years ago that belonged to my good friend Bobby Sparks, but found I could pretty much get the same sound by simply adjusting the tone controls on my amp. Also, I didn't like the look of a dingus hanging off my guitar leg, and having another piece of equipment in the chain that might crap out at some inopportune moment.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have used a Match Box for years and wouldn't play without it.
I use it for no other reason than I have a volume and tone control right at my finger tips with no need to reach back and adjust the amp. :D
Erv
Donnie Southers

Matchbox 7A

Hey guys I appreciate your replies, My little giging steel is a GFI and I don't have the Sustain that I have with with my MSA so I was looking more for something to cary the sound a little further. I have only Been plying for about a 1 1/2 years so if anyone has any tips on how to gain more Sustain that would be great.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You could try a compressor.
Erv
Donnie Southers

You could try a compressor. Erv

Erv , at the risk of sounding stupid. What kind of a compressor and how does it hook up in the chain of effects? At the moment all I'm using is a DD3 and Boss reverb 63 Pedals...
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If I'm not mistaken a compressor should be placed first in the chain right behind the guitar and before the foot volume.
Maybe somebody else can chime in. :D
Erv