Firefox update??

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

G Strout

Firefox update??

Post by G Strout »

So.... the other night I left my computer on, hooked to the internet and drifted off to sleep. Woke up the next morning to find that Mozilla took this opportunity to "update" my fire Firefox to absolutely the worst version that I have ever used. Slow, cumbersome, and hard to negotiate. Basically.... it sucks!
Now, I am not a techie guy. 65 y/o and no interest in learning to fly the space shuttle....so to speak. (I can handle a Cessna though.)
Can anyone steer me in the direction of another browser ( not Chrome) or how to get the older Firefox back on my machine? I would appreciate any information and or guidance, link etc.
Thanks
Gary
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

You might like Pale Moon:

http://www.palemoon.org/

It's based on Firefox and looks quite similar on your screen. You wouldn't have any trouble navigating it.

Although derived from Firefox, it is NOT dependent on Mozilla at all.

It's under active development and has decent forums, although I've never had any reason to use them.

Updated several times per year. I have mine set to NOT update automatically, so I am never surprised like you were with Firefox.

I am on the newest version: 27.6.1, 64-bit.

Been using it for 4 or 5 years with no issues. The developer is pretty sharp.

If you want to stay with Firefox, you might be able to go back to your old version via Windows System Restore---if you use it.
Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 21 Nov 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

It is possible for mere users to download and install Firefox ESR. The current version is 52. It looks and works like the previous version before 57. It also runs the standard Add-Ons, which are blocked in FX 57, which uses the new "WebExtensions API" technology, also used in Chrome and Edge browsers.

Using ESR will give you a little more time to use the old interface and rendering engine. Eventually, that version will go away.
Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 21 Nov 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Thank you Gentlemen! I will give your advice a try. I am not a "computer guy." Definitely appreciate your help. I was hoping that I would get some understandable advice here .... and was evidently correct. lol The computer forums are full of people that know much more than I want to know and they don't seem able to put it in layman terms.
Thanks again,
Gary
b0b

Post by b0b »

I installed the new version 57 on my Mac after reading the technical buzz about it. It seems a faster and more stable to me, on this Mid 2010 Mac Mini with a nearly full hard disc. The old version was locking up a lot.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I upgraded to 57 a couple of days ago. Works OK for me with Win 10, but I have very few add-ons and the Ad blocking ad on still works.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

Jack Stoner wrote:I upgraded to 57 a couple of days ago. Works OK for me with Win 10, but I have very few add-ons and the Ad blocking ad on still works.
Same here. I'm using FF v57.0 without issue, and it seems better than ever to me. The latest updates did break some of my add-ons, as noted earlier, but not all of them. And the developers mostly aren't letting any grass grow up around their feet - they're updating those that used the old code, for the most part.

IMO, if the OP experienced FF going wonky with the upgrade, there might be something else afoot, rather than FF itself.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I let all three PCs update Firefox to #57. I have no complaints about the new appearance and end of life for a few extensions.

BTW: NoScript was finally updated to work in Fx 57+. Some changes were made and previous features that don't work right now will be added in as time goes by.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

I use Opera on my old Vista machine. It works great.
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

Greg Lambert wrote:I use Opera on my old Vista machine. It works great.
Arrghhh ... old habits die hard. Just sayin ...