Canadian Country singer Johnny Burke

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Nigel Mullen

Canadian Country singer Johnny Burke

Post by Nigel Mullen »

Johnny Burke passed away a couple of days ago. He was a great singer and always carried a major steel player with him in his band. Leaves a big hole in Canadian Country music. R.I.P Johnny.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Sad news. Johnny did so much for country music in Canada. I always listened to him "Opry North" on Saturday mornings.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I was fortunate to meet Johnny when he played at Scotty's with East Wind in 2010. My friend, Al Brisco, introduced him to me during a break. Here are a few photos of Johnny, along with Al at Scotty's 2010 ISGC.

Image Image Image

RIP, Johnny, many thanks for your contributions to Canadian Country Music!
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

A great loss to Traditional Country Music in Canada.
RIP Johnny.
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

Truly sad news! Johnny Burke was one of the best artists Canada has produced. Backing up Johnny was always a treat! RIP my friend

Bob & Debra
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Sad news indeed! East wind was an amazing band! The original incarnation with Bob Lucier playing pedal steel was driven by superb musicianship and Johnny's vocal was as good as anybody out there doing it. Sad loss for Canadian country music history..R.I.P.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Dennis Manuel

Post by Dennis Manuel »

So sorry to hear. Another true country artist has gone on to join the angel band. Heard Johnny live in Williams Lake, B.C, back in the early 70's. Al Briscoe was playing steel. I still remember the night and it was great. Love the song "Wild Honey".