B.J Cole with kd Lang...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

B.J Cole with kd Lang...

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Enjoy this wonderful song.. The interplay between Cole's steel and kd's lush voice dripping with emotion is terrific.. B.J cole is not mentioned enough here on the SGF.. The guys discography is one for the ages..

This is kd at her best, back when she sang country... bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1jOmK6rhI8
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

That's beautiful! Thanks for posting, Bob.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

BJ Cole is Mr Steel Guitar in the UK and Europe for many record producers, and for good reason. He plays with flair and imagination. Not the best technician, but he has the most creativity.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Here's his band Cochise, they did a little bit of everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgF0j3C9Ww
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Alan Bidmade

Post by Alan Bidmade »

I saw BJ Cole backing Terry Allen at the Cricketer's pub in London. He absolutely nailed every solo and part that Lloyd Maines had laid down on record. I was no more than a yard away from him throughout the gig - awesome!
BJ was a regular with the Hank Wangford Band in the UK that introduced 'sincere' country music to UK giggers - great times, great fun and fantastic playing on the 'electric coffee table'. BJ's name in that band was 'Manly Footwear'.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Forgot about this thread!... Still sounds great... I wish kd still sang this kind of stuff.. One of the best female country voices of all time, but she went a different direction.. She has the pipes , clarity and intense emotion of Patsy IMHO.. This is s great song.. The steel is killer too... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

BJ Cole always struck me as an unusual steel player, kind of different from the American players who somehow could fit into the traditional country stuff but could do lots of other things as well, very versatile. One of the most underrated players IMO. The first time I heard of him, about 30 years ago, must have been on this record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2CQSaNnX0
BJ is one of those "early influence" steel players I used to listen to years before picking it up myself, along with Sneaky Pete, Lloyd Green/JD Maness (w/the Byrds), Hank DeVito and Ralph Mooney.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I've known BJ over 25 years, and I'm glad that he and his wife/bandmate came to TX to visit this summer and we spent some nice time together. He played several times and did gig at Gruene Hall with my ol' pal Bob Livingston.

I have all of CDs that BJ has of his own music and with collaborators. Very adventuresome music, no Ray Price or Western Swing to be found, though extremely musical and and compelling.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

That's brilliant. I have owned that album since it first came out, but haven't listened to it since the eighties. Time to give it a spin or two!

Another great (though slightly weird) k d lang song with great steel is "Curious Soul Astray". Try it if you haven't heard it!
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Great!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Herb Steiner wrote:... I have all of CDs that BJ has of his own music and with collaborators. Very adventuresome music, no Ray Price or Western Swing to be found, though extremely musical and and compelling.

I agree with Herb and I'll add that BJ's music is, in many cases, very enchanting. Here's a track from BJ's 1989 album Transparent Music

Maurice Ravel's "Pavane Pour Une Enfante Défunte"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnzQnPUnMI

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

BJ Cole played all the turnarounds on this Gerry Rafferty song, one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSfOB8ANdWU