Novice Maintenance Question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Kirk

Novice Maintenance Question

Post by Daniel Kirk »

What sort of lubrication should I apply to the steel rod that goes thru the pedals. I disassembled this piece to clean the pedals and noticed this rob seemed to have some sort of lube.

Thanks-

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

The reason it is that cruded/gummed up is the Wrong lube in the first place..
Main thing is "CLEAN"!!!! Clean the axle to a shinny brand new metal rod...ha...> It's not hard...I use scotch brite pad; then polish it with the Mother's i see in the back ground.....ah..ha
Then clean inside of pedals as good as you can(some kind of degreaser fluid on a rag; and run it threw and twist clean.
Then use a very light oil; like 3&1 oil; or gun oil or sewing machine oil and oil up the axle with it and run it through the brackets and one pedal at a time with those washers in between like it was. Make sure all pedals move/swing; as you tighten up the brackets and getting rid of separation between pedals...and then tighten down axle setscrew...and make sure they all still swing very easy after all together. If they don't; then you tightened brackets a little hard up against...you can lightly tap or loosen...Tada; you're good to go.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

I was wondering why there was only one reply on a maintenance question, as these usually get at least 20 differing opinions. Then I clicked and saw why - no one knows as much about fixing old Sho-Buds as Ricky! I learn a little something every time he answers a question. Thanks, Ricky!
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Daniel Kirk

Thank you

Post by Daniel Kirk »

Douglas- I couldn't agree more.

Ricky

Thank you so much for taking the time. I followed instructions to the letter. If you wrote a book, I'd buy it....hard back even!!
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well you "Learn from your own mistakes" and believe me; I've made a millions mistakes on ALLLLL this stuff for the last 20 years of Pedal Steel Guitar work; and mainly because at Sho~bud; no one ever used a ruler or even measured anything...they just put them together and not one is like the other in so many ways...so YOU FIGURE OUT THE BEST way eventually...and that's all I share.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com