What do you know about Vorson lap steel guitars?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ray Beck

What do you know about Vorson lap steel guitars? Reply with

Post by Ray Beck »

IAN,

See Bill Hatcher's comments above --
Bill Hatcher wrote:asian mystery mahogany for sure. the serious cut out for the head stock is an easy way to do it, but it makes for a very flimsy platform to anchor the strings. plug it into a tuner and hit a note and press down on the very end of the headstock and watch what happens. a maple neck would fare a little better for this design. aside from that, probably a decent value for the money.
Bill Hatcher wrote:if this guitar was $99...no big deal. but if you paid more for it than that....send it back. always remember that the majority of instruments from china look nice...have nice finish.etc...but...the wood materials are usually very subpar. the superstructure of the instrument is made from the cheapest mahogany in the world. it is nothing compared with real honduras mahogany. so, they made most of the guitar from that and put some maple on the top more as an ornamental thing. the flexing of the headstock....every time you play a note...the headstock is flexing ever so slightly and you are losing energy and that means sustain. i dont know why
Ian Fleetwood

Post by Ian Fleetwood »

Hi Pat,

Thanks for getting in touch. One can only hope that they have improved the material.

Seems sturdy enough at this stage...there is in not a lot that is not made in China these days. The finish looks good as you and others have mentioned.

I popped the pick up, pot, switch wiring and that's a bit how's your father!

Regards,

Ian
Ian Fleetwood

Re: Vorson FLSL-220 Lap Steel Pack with F-Holes

Post by Ian Fleetwood »

Ray Beck wrote:I just ordered the Vorson FLSL 220 6 string, but haven't evaluated it yet. I want do a sound comparison of it to my Sierra 8 using the same sound setup. The guitar is beautiful and well made - I was surprised. It also has 4 knobs (Volume & Tone) for each pickup and a 3-way switch. Here are some pictures, including a comparison shot with the Sierra 8. The scale is 22.5" while the Sierra is 24.25" --
Hi Ray,

I know it has been a while since you posted this up but any chance I could get a comment on the angle of the pick ups with respect to the body of the instrument. I have just purchased one and am seeing angled pick ups. The supplier are saying this is normal however all I can see thus far indicate otherwise.

Be interested in your comments..

Regards,

Ian