Need Nashville Area Lap Steel Repair/Maintenance?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Helm

Need Nashville Area Lap Steel Repair/Maintenance?

Post by Mark Helm »

Can anyone tell me a great place in/near Nashville to have my vintage lap steels serviced?

For a town famous for country music, ya rarely see a store (beyond the high-end vintage market) that carries lap steels--

and (respectfully) I don't want a twenty-something heavy metal guitar-tech-type messing with my instruments! :-)

Thanks!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Gruhn Guitars?
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I have zero idea how booked up he might be but the legendary Joe Glaser over the years has done quite a bit of lap steel work for Jerry Douglas.
Mark
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

Carter Vintage all the way. They just did some work on my 52 dual pro- excellent friendly service, and a great steel/ square neck collection while you wait.
Mark Helm

Carter....?

Post by Mark Helm »

Thanks, Asa!

I was at Carter and they had about 7-8 Vintage laps, all a bit over-priced (tho, in fairness, most are on consignment).

Now, I don't know about their repair service, which I'm sure is great--but, I fear, also pretty pricey.

All you have to do is walk in the door of Carters and realize that $$$ talks. It is (sadly or not, depending on your point of view and bank account), a big show of how things mostly aren't any more.

That's why I like to hang out here with you folks.

Again, thanks--I'll look into it, but I'm hoping to find a regular guy around these parts who knows and loves laps. I'd rather pay him (or her) than a company.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

My advice is try Carter once- see if you're happy. I've had two items in their repair shop, and ultimately they've done great thorough work that's held up, and I've been happy with the price- as you said- you don't know about their repair service. They're not Gruhns, and they're not guitar center.

I'd also get ahold of Buck Reid- he works through Steel Guitar Nashville, and may be available privately. He's great with pedals, may be great with no pedals too, and you won't find a better guy.
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

What happened to Bobbe Seymour's store. Did it survive after his passing?
Steve
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Steve,
Steel guitar Nashville is still going strong. Great people and a great selection of guitars. Bob hempker from the Loretta Lynn show is there and Michele. Buck Reid is onsite doing repairs.

Ron Hogan
Nashville
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

What do you need serviced? Lap steels are pretty simple devices, nowhere near as complicated as a Spanish guitar in terms of set-up. Other than pickup problems...?
Ed Pettersen

Post by Ed Pettersen »

Glaser. Or British Audio on Charlotte if you're on the West Side.
Singer-songwriter, author, composer and full-time musician, ie: poor! <g>
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

I thought Carco Clave was doing some repairs for a few stores in the Nashville area some time back. You could possibly check with him. He was doing some gigs with Chuck Mead....
Gary