Who is Your Favorite Steel Guitar Player?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jerry Berger

Favorite Steel Players

Post by Jerry Berger »

Santo Farina, David Hartley, Tony Arrowood.
Steffen Gunter

Post by Steffen Gunter »

Danny Stewart

My fascination for the steel guitar started with listening to him and he's still the one I'm listening the most when listening to instrumental steel guitar recordings, even more often than to JB's – although I really admire JB's playing I'm not so happy with the productions.
Tony Lombardo

Post by Tony Lombardo »

There are so many. From today, there's Mike Neer, Jeremy Wakefield, Cindy Cashdollar, Eddie Rivers, Bob Hoffnar, and John Ely. From yesterday, there's Herb Remington, Noel Boggs, and a bunch of names I can't pull up on the spot.
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

Favorites???? It depends on the day and the mood that I am in........Tuesday it was driving all day and listening to James Farmer playing behind Marty Robbins singing REAL country music of the early to mid '50's. Tom Brumley any day that I listen to him play his 'Hank Williams Medley'.....Jody Cameron on any day that I listen to him play 'Here's That Rainy Day' or his Dicky Overbey inspired 'Another Bridge to Burn'...... and of course, Buddy Emmons any time of any day.
D10 Emmons LeGrande SKH (rebuilt by Billy Knowles), D10 Emmons Push/Pull (setup by Billy Knowles) , SD10 Rittenberry
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

Jerry Douglas and Mike Auldridge
Aubrey Ghent
Steve
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

David Lindley was my gateway drug who got me hooked, but I love so many of the greats, Hawaiian, Sacred Steel, Blues, Country, Western Swing... It depends on who I'm listening to at the moment.
Levi Gemmell

Post by Levi Gemmell »

Well, without including JB, my personal candidates are Dick McIntire, David Keli'i, Benjamin Rogers, and George de Fretes. I just cannot pick one of them! Outside of Hawaiian music, Bob Dunn's idiosyncratic style was one of my first exposures to early electric steel playing - and he still thrills me!
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

My favorite player will always be Speedy West. He roped me in to the steel guitar, thanks to Guitar Player magazine, which published a small but informative number of steel guitar articles back in the 70s and 80s. The most evocative player I've heard yet. Of all my favorites, he's probably the one I play least like, but conceptually I feel closest to him. Guitar Spectacular is a top notch LP and I can say that I tried to live up to that with my own record.

Next would be Sol Hoopii, Gabby Pahinui and Buddy Emmons.
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Murphey!
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Mike Neer wrote:My favorite player will always be Speedy West. He roped me in to the steel guitar, thanks to Guitar Player magazine, which published a small but informative number of steel guitar articles back in the 70s and 80s. The most evocative player I've heard yet. .
Speedy was rather unique!

He did some crazy good stuff with Jimmy Bryant, too.
David Weisenthal

Post by David Weisenthal »

Tom Brumley and Hal Rugg are the 2 pedal steelers I enjoy listening to the most. I don't know enough of the non pedal players yet....but the raw electric sound on many Bob Wills and Hank Williams cuts are what attracted me to lap steel. So Herb Remington for sure.
Derby SD10, Peavey Session 400
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Perhaps this should be moved to the Steel Players section, since it isn't limited to non-pedal players and people are naming pedal players as well as non-pedallers. More folks will see it in the Steel Players section... Just MHO
Jim Hoock

Post by Jim Hoock »

Wayne the Train seems to have a talent for employing the great ones...
Fender FS-52
1960 Fender Deluxe 8
2014 GeorgeBoards S8 Koa
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

It depends on the day as there are qualities I admire in many, many players. But if you made me narrow it down, the list is Speedy West, Mike Auldridge, Curly Chalker and David Feet Rogers. There's a richness and depth to Speedy's playing that stays with me. Mike's Dobro first caught my ear at age 17 and the finesse and poetry of his Dobro playing still stands out from the crowd. I bow at the waist to Emmons but Curly's pedal playing (except for when he used a B3 simulator) slays me. Lastly, there are many beautiful Hawaiian-style players but there's something about the poetic, minimalist approach Feet had that always moves me emotionally.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

So many favorites. Right now I favor Carlos Minor and Billy Bowman.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Jerry Byrd, Joaquin Murphy, and Tom Morrell, in no particular order.
George Piburn

1st Chair and all around 1st class person.

Post by George Piburn »

I've always considered the 1st chair player and so much more.

Maurice Anderson

His ability to play a melody in every key in a single tune and improvise the most intense Swing - Bee Bop Lines is beyond Compare.
Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

I agree with George. Reece Anderson is my favorite. Pedals or not, D10 or U12, country, jazz or pop, Reece brought unmatched elegance and a sense of luxury to his playing.

Besides being one of the finest people I've ever known, Reece was a master musician, teacher, scholar and innovator whose instrument happened to be steel guitar.
Roger Conant

Post by Roger Conant »

First message on site.Too old to understand process.My favorite steel (and dobro) players= C.E. Jackson and Shot Jackson.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Einar Baldursson wrote:Impossible to pick one of course but these days it's David Keli'i.
ditto. So many great ones who bring their own personalities to their playing, but the riffs just seem to flow out of David Keli'i. Virtuosity matched with seemingly endless ideas and stylistic flexibility...slow and sweet or blazing fast. His backup playing alone is uncanny. Often intricate and busy like he's playing a duet with the singer, but never gets in the way.

For a modern player, I like Jeff Au Hoy.
C. E. Jackson

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Roger Conant wrote:First message on site.Too old to understand process.My favorite steel (and dobro) players= C.E. Jackson and Shot Jackson.
Thank you Roger. I am highly honored and humbled. This old civil engineer never expected to be named anyone's favorite
steel guitar player.

C. E. :D :D
Tony Lombardo

Post by Tony Lombardo »

For some reason, I didn't list Chris Scruggs, my all-time favorite, in my post earlier in this thread.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Pedal Steel: Jimmy Day
Non Pedal Steel: Jerry Byrd
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Bob Watson wrote:Pedal Steel: Jimmy Day
Non Pedal Steel: Jerry Byrd
Bob Watson, I would agree with you exactly !
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

So many greats to choose from! I'll break it down into two categories.
Legend players, Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green
Soon to be Legend players, Mike Johnson and Tommy White.
Actually, Mike and Tommy are pretty much legends now.
While a lot of players have a signal path that goes from their head to their hands, these guys share a signal path that goes from their head to their heart, then to their hands. It makes a difference.