Sierra Steel Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I dont know if Sierra is the right name for this. It could be called a Nevada Legend and it would still be an awesome instrument.
Ross Shafer

Makin' chips!

Post by Ross Shafer »

It may not look like it, but what you see here is, 10 sets of S10 end plates, 6 sets of S12 endplates and 500 bell cranks.

They're in there, I just need to get rid of all the aluminum they're hiding in!

Time to feed the big red beast!
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Awesome rig Bob!!!!!!!
Ross, If you need an assistant Ill need 50 amp service for the bus..:=)
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

an assistant would be awesome Mickey, the 50 amps is no problem, but I've seen your hunting pics....and am afraid my pigs would live in fear!
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Darn, Now I want one...
:)
Ross Shafer

"Makin' Chips" videos

Post by Ross Shafer »

I've been burning it up in the shop turning big pieces of aluminum into small pieces of aluminum so the chips are flying....literally!

I thought it'd be fun to show you all some of the machining involved in making the new Sierra's so my lovely wife Mari is helping me produce some homespun "Makin' Chips" videos.

The first episode is up and ready for your viewing pleasure: https://youtu.be/UQ4e7Mn5uko

next up is "Makin' Chips-Endplates" Serious chip launching in this one!

Thanks again for all the interest and compliments!!!
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

Now Ross, that is what I call gettin' it done. I can hardly wait to see the next one.

Great to see how things are made for the steel guitar and how labor intensive it really is.
b0b

Re: Makin' Chips

Post by b0b »

Ross Shafer wrote:I've been burning it up in the shop turning big pieces of aluminum into small pieces of aluminum so the chips are flying....literally!

I thought it'd be fun to show you all some of the machining involved in making the new Sierra's so my lovely wife Mari is helping me produce some homespun "Makin' Chips" videos.

The first episode is up and ready for your viewing pleasure: https://youtu.be/UQ4e7Mn5uko

next up is "Makin' Chips-Endplates" Serious chip launching in this one!

Thanks again for all the interest and compliments!!!
Wow! That's "How it's done". Great video, Ross.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

It slices! It dices! Fun watching the amazing machine mill these fine cranks. Good video.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Great video.
My,my...I made a couple bell cranks for my Sierra awhile back using assorted files, a hack saw and drill press. Three days later I had one (1) :\
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Enjoyed watching the machining videos. Also enjoyed the eye candy with photos of the new models after I found the correct link to those. Very innovative and 21st. Century... here:

http://www.sierrasteels.com/products/pe ... itars.html
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Jerry, I believe the flyer said $10,000 for an S10!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Happy Friday!!

I've decided to add S12 steels in the mix earlier than planned. End plates are done and I'll be machining the changer and tuner housings along with the 10 string versions. It save me a bunch of machine setup time down the road.

ALSO: the latest thrilling episode of "Makin' Chips" can be now seen at Sierra's You Tube page.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-EM4e ... JN4l9LF7sA
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Really enjoy the videos.
I was starting to wonder what you did with all those "chips".
Does the cooling fluid recycle/filter back through the unit? Is this the same CNC machine Tom Baker used for the earlier Sierras?
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

I'm glad you like the vids Tom. Yes the coolant is goes into a sump and is pumped back up to cool again.

This is not the same machine that was used in the past at Sierra.

Stay tuned for more vids!
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I too like your name better than Sierra. I got your marketting jingle:
Shafer....is the...one steel to have.. when you're only having one.
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

Ross, the pedal attachment to the pedal rods looks unique on your new guitar too. Would you mind posting a few pics on these?
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

memphislim wrote:Ross, the pedal attachment to the pedal rods looks unique on your new guitar too. Would you mind posting a few pics on these?
Not at all Slim. This connection is an unabashed copy of the system used by one of my favorite steel builder Lamar Colvin. Super simple and easy to use.

memphislim

Post by memphislim »

I like it! Indeed, simple, elegant solution.

I now notice the leg adjustment slot. What other features are yet to be discovered?
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

The YouTube presentation was incredibly instructive. As presented by Ross, I was catapulted into the classroom of a "nutty professor" type who took pride in his creation. I was chuckling the whole way as he explained the magic going on.
At the end, I asked myself one question. How do guys like this do it?

Kudos to both Ross and his wife. A question for you.Ross; did you have to have the metal cutting machine made to your specations or was it a generic lathe?

Thanks for the video presentation. Stevet
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Thanks Slim! Other features? Yup, plenty-o-user and service friendly gizmos lie within'. Check out the the Sierra website for a pretty full rundown: www.sierrasteels.com/products/pedal-steel-guitars.htm.

Steve T: "Nutty Professor"..."chuckling all the way though"...that makes my day, thanks! While I hope the vids are somewhat informative, making them entertaining is definitely a priority. FYI, we'll be posting a couple vids soonly.

How do guys like me do this stuff? For me "how" is a direct result of why. I'm a make-a-colic, have been all my adult life...can't shake it. No 12 step programs for this jonz. It hasn't been updated in years, but you can see some of the other trouble this addiction has gotten me into here: www.six-ninedesign.com

The Machine is an "off the shelf" 1988 Matsuura MC510V milling machine. You'll see a lathe at some point in the video series.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I spoke with Ross recently and he made me feel glad that he's taken on Sierra, along with his partner(s). I wish y'all the best for your success in the future-Chris
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

Ross I knew there were plenty of features from the pics posted and your website. I just didn't see anything about the pedals anywhere and was just making sure we could all see all the features that may as of yet to be revealed.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I have the relationships wrong. I am corrected:
"I have no ownership or partners. Sierra still solely owned by Ed Littlefield and there are no partners"- Ross
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Howdy all,
We posted a new "Makin' Chips" video on the Sierra You Tube page.

Due to the female mud wrestling included in this one, I'm issuing a parental warning not his one: Parents by all means let your little ones watch this!

No animals were harmed in the making of this video.

Check it out here: http://www.steelguitars.me

Subscribe to the Sierra channel so you don't miss any of the upcoming exciting episodes.