Compensators on E9th Neck

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

John Roche wrote:Thanks Ken, I have three cent drop on my guitar so not that much of a problem..
I wouldn't bother with it then John. If you use a plain 6th, that is the string most affected especially when you press the A pedal on its own. It used to drive me round the bend years ago until I hit on the idea of putting an additional pull on pedal A to raise the 6th string just a smidgen to compensate for the drop. It's a quick and easy fix, but many will find it unnecessary as it doesn't bother them. I am a bit of an obsessive I'm afraid. :lol:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

For many people it's not for cabinet drop so much as truing certain chords/intervals.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Lane Gray wrote:For many people it's not for cabinet drop so much as truing certain chords/intervals.
On E9 I 'true' my F# strings with compensators, but the plain 6th string is the one most affected by body flex on my guitars. Could be because I play Day setup. :roll:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ken Metcalf

Re: Compensators on E9th Neck

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Gary Arnold wrote:What strings do you need a compensator on ? Thanks, Gary
The clear answer is you don't need any compensators is just an option.

I have several friends that tune Equal temperament and sound great.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

have to agree with a lot of people on here.. a 7th string compensator to bump down the pitch a bit is basically a requisite for me... if not.. on every steel i've ever played... you are either out of tune open or out of tune with AB down... i put it on my B pedal and it adds no weight to the pedal since its barely dropping it... but I HATE not having it..
Will Cowell

Post by Will Cowell »

I love my Williams 700 U12 but my 6th string is out when I use the A pedal to raise 5 & 9. It sounds bad enough that I had to devise an extra pull which raises 6 just a tad. I'm not convinced by Richard Burton's suggestion that raising 5 & 9 (or 10 on a 10-stringer) affects 6 directly. I believe it's cabinet drop, which is significant on my U12 - strange to say. It's enough that I felt I needed to put this compensator on. It really only affects the "3 up, A&F" inversion of a major chord.
Williams 700 series keyless U12,
Sierra keyless U14, Eezzee-Slide & BJS bars
Moth-eaten old Marshall 150 combo
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Back in March Ned McIntosh wrote:Are we in danger of over-analysing this a bit?
and Greg Cutshaw wrote:Like most of you I use a combination of varying the bar pressure front to back or slanting it slightly to achieve acceptably in tune results.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs