Pickup options for a Mullen RP

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Barlow

Pickup options for a Mullen RP

Post by Joseph Barlow »

I am getting a distorted signal from my stock Mullen RP single coil pickup and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what should I do to correct it? I am thinking about trying a different pickup but I don't know what the options are. Thanks for any advice on what to swap to and what to expect from different pickups.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

What's all is in your signal chain like volume pedal,amp effects etc. because pickups aren't normally the cause of distortion unless they're too hot for the input of the amp.

Has it been working ok and just started this recently?
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Joseph Barlow

Post by Joseph Barlow »

I have tried several volume pedals, different cords, different amps, lil izzy or no lil izzy, straight into the guitar and every combination I can think of and the dirty sounding distortion is always present to some degree. It is most evident running straight cord from the guitar to amp. That's why I think the pickup is the problem. It is cleanest when the lil izzy is in the chain. Milkman half and half amp seams to be worse than a Nashville 112. It has been very baffling to me and any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Maybe your pickup is to high? You can experiment with quarters...I personally like 3 quarters(stacked), between the strings & pickup on my Sho~Bud/TrueTone pickup.
“TONESNOB”
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

I would try what Edward suggested regarding the pickup height. Mullen pickups are noted for a very clean single coil sound and are hard to beat in a RP.