Ernie Ball PARADIGM Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got an ad from SamAsh about the new Ernie Ball "Paradigm" "non breakable" strings. They are sold in sets for 6 string rhythm and lead guitars. I don't use Ernie Ball strings, I use George L's for Pedal Steel, but I thought I'd ask them about those strings for Pedal Steel since they claim "non breakable".

Their response says it all. They are only concerned with 6 string (rock) guitars.

Here is their response:
Thank you for your email.  At this time, we are focusing on creating the highest quality string possible for the highest demand gauges/alloys.  The initial launch will included electric and acoustic strings only, which cater specifically to guitar.  

Who knows what the future holds for Paradigm strings!

Have a great day, and thanks for rockin' Ernie Ball!
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

D'Addario is boasting some sort of new technology too, with claims of more bendable (as in 'guitar bends' but this possibly applies to PSG application as well) longer lasting etc. etc. NYXL is the line. They are now selling E9 sets. I'm fine with what I use (and buy in dozens for huge savings) so I'll not be finding out about these NYXL's but I'm certainly curious to hear reports.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

I've been using the NYXL guitar strings for about the last year. I find that they do hold up longer than normal strings. I want to try the pedal steel version. When I first heard about them I thought that they would be a great pedal steel string, because of their resistance to breakage.
ajm

Post by ajm »

I also got the ad from Sam Ash.

Non-breakable, huh?
That doesn't sound like a guarantee or a characteristic.
That sounds like a......challenge. ;>))
b0b

Post by b0b »

Jon Light wrote:D'Addario is boasting some sort of new technology too, with claims of more bendable (as in 'guitar bends' but this possibly applies to PSG application as well) longer lasting etc. etc. NYXL is the line. They are now selling E9 sets. I'm fine with what I use (and buy in dozens for huge savings) so I'll not be finding out about these NYXL's but I'm certainly curious to hear reports.
Those just came out, and I have them in stock in the Steel Guitar Forum Store. I haven't tried the E9th set yet, but they sent me a prototype set of NYXLs for my D6th a couple of months ago. They are still sounding clear and true after several gigs in weather and indoors. Two months is a good run. I'm happy with them.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/cate ... dal-steel/
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Had you announced this? Maybe that's why I knew about their PSG packs. Thanks for the report.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

B0b, are you going to be carrying the singles?
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Scott Duckworth wrote:B0b, are you going to be carrying the singles?
I'm not sure there's enough demand, Scott. Time will tell.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Thanks B0b. I'm thinking about ordering a set of singles to try on my E6 lap steel.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Tom from D'Addario here. We are working on expanding the NYXL line to incorporate the C6 neck soon (hence the poll b0b kindly posted a few weeks back). We are also looking at selected lap steel sets for future release.

The current offerings are the E9 sets in "standard" gauges and the "Franklin" gauges. Paul has been playing these strings since we expanded our line of NYXL singles to cover his gauges, and other great players like Mike Johnson, Tommy White, Greg Leisz, Russ Pahl, and Dan Dugmore have been using them, too.

The NYXL formula has a bit more steel versus nickel in it, making them more mellow than stainless steel, and a bit brighter in the 1k-3K range than our standard nickel wound. Player feedback reports that pitch stability has increased as well as keeping their tone over time, as b0b is experiencing with his set.
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Tom Spaulding wrote:Tom from D'Addario here. We are working on expanding the NYXL line to incorporate the C6 neck soon (hence the poll b0b kindly posted a few weeks back). We are also looking at selected lap steel sets for future release.

The current offerings are the E9 sets in "standard" gauges and the "Franklin" gauges. Paul has been playing these strings since we expanded our line of NYXL singles to cover his gauges, and other great players like Mike Johnson, Tommy White, Greg Leisz, Russ Pahl, and Dan Dugmore have been using them, too.

The NYXL formula has a bit more steel versus nickel in it, making them more mellow than stainless steel, and a bit brighter in the 1k-3K range than our standard nickel wound. Player feedback reports that pitch stability has increased as well as keeping their tone over time, as b0b is experiencing with his set.
They're all I've been using since they came out. I get way more life, durability, and pitch stability out of these. Glad they're making sets. I've been getting singles and making my own sets since they came out. I'll have a lot more time to eat now.
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

Same as you Travis. I have found them the best out there to date - GregT
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Tom, are the E 9th sets available in UK? Can't see them listed anywhere, only six string sets.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Malcolm McMaster wrote:Tom, are the E 9th sets available in UK? Can't see them listed anywhere, only six string sets.
I can ship the NYXL E9th sets to UK, Malcolm. No problem.
www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/S ... dal-steel/
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Travis,
Where are you buying the singles?
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Thanks bOb, will be in touch.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Travis would certainly be one of the "other great players" I was referring to!

We're finding many former stainless steel and nickel wound players really like the "in between nickel and steel" tone of the NYXL strings.
Travis Toy wrote:
Tom Spaulding wrote: ...Paul has been playing these strings since we expanded our line of NYXL singles to cover his gauges, and other great players like Mike Johnson, Tommy White, Greg Leisz, Russ Pahl, and Dan Dugmore have been using them, too.

They're all I've been using since they came out. I get way more life, durability, and pitch stability out of these. Glad they're making sets. I've been getting singles and making my own sets since they came out. I'll have a lot more time to eat now.