Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

ajm

Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

Post by ajm »

Do you stretch your strings when you put them on?

Or do you put them on, tune them up, and play them, letting them stretch out on their own?
Gary Watkins

Re: Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

Post by Gary Watkins »

ajm wrote:Do you stretch your strings when you put them on?

Or do you put them on, tune them up, and play them, letting them stretch out on their own?
Where is the polling log? But yes, I stretch them.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Jack Hanson

Re: Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

Post by Jack Hanson »

Gary Watkins wrote:...yes, I stretch them.
Me too.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Only the 3rd, SLOWLY ... from a distance cause it scars me LOL
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

No, it takes about 3 times with keys to bring up to pitch where they stay. Why would I want to ruin a new string, lol
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I do.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Buddy felt that stretching wound strings definitely shortened their life, and told me so.

My reply was "Oh, really? So now you're a metallurgist, huh?"

:lol:

But no, I don't stretch my strings. I let the process occur organically.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

No, not really. Kind of what Herb and Henry say.

Exception might be the E9th 3rd. It's the last to be tuned up when changing sets...Either way, if just replacing it, I tend to tune it up unison with string 1 F#, just so I can hear the pitch, then to G and finally to G# with some pedaling between notes.

If the string is any good, it will go to required pitch with no problem. No amount of coddling will make a difference with breakage.

If one breaks while playing a gig, I just crank it up there and tweak it while it stretches during playing.

Only stretching I do for all strings is what comes from actuating the pedals and levers letting them settle in.

I tried the suggestion of pulling up on the string to stretch it years ago, but abandoned that rather quickly.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Henry Matthews wrote:No, it takes about 3 times with keys to bring up to pitch where they stay. Why would I want to ruin a new string, lol
I think I feel the same way.
Steve Knight

Post by Steve Knight »

I stretch the strings when changing them on all my stringed instruments. I think it helps them settle on the tuners so they'll stay in tune.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

No stretching. No problems...
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Yes.

Buddy did stretch strings. I was at a Seminar in (I think) Iola Kansas in late 70's that Scotty put on and he had Buddy with him. I watched Buddy tune up and one thing he did was stretch the wound strings on his C6th neck during tuning.
Last edited by Jack Stoner on 22 Mar 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If I'm on a gig, I do. Can,t afford to have it going out of tune until it naturally settles in from pedal use. If I am changing a set of strings, I try to change them no later than the day before I need to gig. And the third string, I only tune to F# at first, tug on it once or twice, let it set, bring it up to G, tug a couple times, let it set over night, then take it up to G#. I had a really bad episode when I was changing a third string, it breaking and hitting me in the face. So, I'm a little gun shy. That happened probably 30 years, or more ago.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jack Stoner wrote:Yes.

Buddy did stretch strings. I was at a Seminar in (I think) Iola Kansas in late 70's that Scotty put on and he had Buddy with him. I watched Buddy tune up and one thing he did was stretch the wound strings on his C6th neck during tuning.
I didn't say he never stretched the strings, I just said he told me that he felt it shortened their life. ;) If I'm changing my strings just before a show, I stretch them out of necessity myself.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

I use to stretch them...
Gianni

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I always use an old Fender string stretcher. I've had it for 40 years. Does a great job of gently stretching the strings as you slide it up and down the string. I NEVER grab a string in the middle and pull on it! That creates a weak spot in the string.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Kevin Fix

Stretch Um

Post by Kevin Fix »

I give them all a good tug at least 3 times while I bring them into tune. Took a while to get them to stay in tune if I did not stretch them.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

FWIW, I found this tip from Del Mullen re: forming the string to the roller to be helpful and help the string to settle in faster. http://www.mullenguitars.com/guitar-tip ... ring%20Tip
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Herb, Buddy was stretching existing strings, not new ones. He loosened them, stretched them (at least what I thought he was doing) and then tuned up. Just wanted to comment about seeing Buddy do it.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I push on the pedals and levers a few times after I put strings on. There is so much tension on the strings already I haven't found that yanking on them by hand helps anything.

I wonder if pulling on the strings by hand might put an uneven stress on them and mess them up a little ?
Bob
MIchael Bean

Post by MIchael Bean »

I stretch them, starting with the 4th string. The first 3 scare me, because I've been cut by one whipping back at my hand. For these I just use the pedal or lever a couple of times because they're already pretty tight.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Jack Stoner wrote:Herb, Buddy was stretching existing strings, not new ones. He loosened them, stretched them (at least what I thought he was doing) and then tuned up. Just wanted to comment about seeing Buddy do it.
Before a show, I saw Buddy loosen, stretch, and pop his low wound strings like a bow. He said it was to get rid of the crud between the windings and liven them up.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Stretching" strings is a very dumb thing to do. What you are doing is pulling the windings apart the reason strings sound dead and won't stay in tune. Strings are fragile items even though they are made of steel. Buddy was certainly correct...
I need an Emmons!
Mike Archer

strings

Post by Mike Archer »

I change them out

pedal all the changes and knee levers

a few times then I let the guitar sit overnight

next day I pitch um up pedal um and tune um

mike :D
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp