Tired of back problems from lugging your steel??????

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brad Higgins

Tired of back problems from lugging your steel??????

Post by Brad Higgins »

I've tried hand trucks and had my steel nearly fall off, so I put casters on my case, because about thirty-five years ago I notice that Maurice Anderson had casters on his case and it made it look quite easy to wheel his steel around. I had the casters on for years, and they worked great, but only on smooth surfaces, here's my final solution, an all terrain steel case. The most important thing for me is making it easier to go up and down the stairs in my house.

Last edited by Brad Higgins on 8 Feb 2017 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a two piece case set. Lightens the load.

When I do play a venue that has any distance from the load/unload location and the stage I use a "Rock N Roller" 4 wheel cart. Folds up for transporting and the "bed" opens up to 39", long enough for my cases.

GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ed Boyd

Re: Tired of back problems from lugging your steel??????

Post by Ed Boyd »

That is really cool Brad. Is there a way we could get a picture of the back side so I could see the axle assembly. My MSA is really heavy.

Thanks!
Brad Higgins

Post by Brad Higgins »

Jack Stoner wrote:I have a two piece case set. Lightens the load.

When I do play a venue that has any distance from the load/unload location and the stage I use a "Rock N Roller" 4 wheel cart. Folds up for transporting and the "bed" opens up to 39", long enough for my cases.

That looks like a great unit Jack, I'm sure it works quite well for you. My problem is that now it's just my wife and I performing together so I wind up having to carry all of the band equipment. I have a large heavy duty hand truck for most of the gear, I just needed something to make the steel easier to transport, and with this setup I can even wheel it right up the stairs.
Brad Higgins

Post by Brad Higgins »

Hey Ed, I took some more pictures for you, and I know what you mean, I used to have a double 10 MSA and that was 85lb in the case. I know that this will sound a little silly, but make sure that you open the case when you're figuring out where to position the wheels, because I almost forgot to do that myself.

Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks a lot Brad!
Brad Higgins

Post by Brad Higgins »

Ed Boyd wrote:Thanks a lot Brad!
Not a problem at all Ed, Hope it helped!
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Hey Jack could tell me where you got that cart from?
I would like to get one.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

I use a similar cart to Jack's, but not as fancy. Got it at Lowes. It's a hand truck that has a movable handle to make it a cart.

Mine isn't quite as heavy duty as this one...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Milwaukee-800- ... k/50042446.

The Rock-n-Roller is available from Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Amazon, etc. They also have a website... https://rocknrollercart.com/.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
David Cubbedge

Post by David Cubbedge »

Those collapsible hand truck/carts are available at the big box hardware stores. I have one that I rarely use! I do use a split case - 60 lbs and 25 lbs is better than 95 lbs!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

I have one of those collapsible carts as well.
The drummer in one of my bands just saw/noticed it, and said how it would be a good idea for his gear as well.
My Walker case has built-in wheels, which as stated, generally only work well on level/smooth surfaces. The only problem I've noticed is that the case seems a bit heavier than the original (without wheels). That's an issue when I have to load in or out of my car, or carry it places where wheels won't help. Might be time to consider a split case........
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Larry Allen

Wheels

Post by Larry Allen »

Great Brad!...on my little Excel (40lbs) I use the 1"x2" rubber wheels and a 1/4" axle, but I"m headed your way!. Larry
Image :whoa:
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

For what it's worth, I use a split gig bag set, 40# for Legrande 8+8, and 18# shotgun case for legs and pedal bar. Nashville 112 with Double TT speaker At 39#, Steel Seat Lite at 25# loaded including spare Emmons vp! I don't need no stinking hand truck.
Thomas Kowalchuk

Post by Thomas Kowalchuk »

Generally speaking, I find the best solution is often also the simplest solution.

Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

John Swain wrote:For what it's worth, I use a split gig bag set, 40# for Legrande 8+8, and 18# shotgun case for legs and pedal bar. Nashville 112 with Double TT speaker At 39#, Steel Seat Lite at 25# loaded including spare Emmons vp! I don't need no stinking hand truck.
Hey john. How are you liking the double T in your NV112? I am doing the same thing. Dividing and conquering. Split up the steel, split up the amp. Best way to go.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I use this four-wheeler.Heavy,but it holds a lot,and folds up to a two wheeler so it's out of the way during transit and on the gig...Most places have ramps to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act,so I haven't had to take anything up and down stairs since I can't remember when.
Brad Higgins

Re: Wheels

Post by Brad Higgins »

Larry Allen wrote:Great Brad!...on my little Excel (40lbs) I use the 1"x2" rubber wheels and a 1/4" axle, but I"m headed your way!. Larry

Those look about the same size as the casters that I used to have on my case, and they worked pretty well much of the time. I'm just so glad that I went to the bigger wheels though, because I own four different hand trucks, one is similar to Jack's and one is exactly like Thomas's, and for me this works so much better. Not only do I have to wheel my steel up the stairs (my steel is 65lb in the case), but I have a very narrow pathway to get to my stairs, not wide enough for any kind of hand truck, plus I often play outside gigs.