The trap of perfectionism - interesting essay

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Andy Volk

The trap of perfectionism - interesting essay

Post by Andy Volk »

Steve Treseler | Saxophone | Creative Music Blog
The trap of perfectionism keeps us from making the impact we seek.
Endless polishing and tinkering is one way we hide from emotional risk. We may tell ourselves that if our work is perfect, it will be immune from criticism. I know a jazz musician who has been working on his first album for over ten years because he wants it to be perfect. Insulating ourselves from risk feels safe in the moment, but it keeps our original contributions bottled up inside.

I certainly get stuck in this trap. I’m usually able to let mistakes go on stage, but the scrutiny of mixing a record triggers my perfectionism impulse. After fixing an egregious mistake with studio magic, I start hearing smaller imperfections and could continue polishing and hiding forever.

We can have high standards, but perfect is off the table. The artists we most admire aren’t perfect, yet they continue to perform, record, and amass a body of work.

An obsession with perfect also puts us into a defensive performance mindset—we try to avoid errors rather than play courageously on stage.

In his three-minute TED Talk, bestselling author Seth Godin tells us, “We need to care enough to connect, care enough to put ourselves at risk emotionally in order to touch other people. . .But we have to be brave enough to ship it before it’s ready, because it’s never ready.”

The only way to touch another person with your music is to share it. The sharing may be an album, concert, YouTube video, or informal performance for friends and family. Shipping a project is your invitation to begin a new one.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Guilty as charged.
However I am trying to stop being so anal about things.
I spend way too much time recording, re-recording, editing fiddling etc.
I even drive myself nuts at times.
It is disappointing to find out that I am not perfect though........
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Steven Stills played a wrong bass note on the Judy Collins album he produced, but it doesn't stop me listening to it.

Stravinsky's own recording of his Symphony In Three Movements has a split trumpet note on the very last chord, but it's still the definitive recording.

The beautifully presented offerings of The Carpenters or Chicago would be just as good if they were a shade rougher.

It's the musical thought that counts.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Ian Rae wrote:Steven Stills played a wrong bass note on the Judy Collins album he produced, but it doesn't stop me listening to it.
Yeah, but does it stop HIM from listening to it? Prolly...
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Good point, Jim :) I guess it may.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

It may have been Jeff Newman, or maybe someone else, who said of getting out and playing live "Don't wait until you're ready, you never will be."

Not sure I have the words quoted exactly right, but the message is clear. Image
Roddy Ring

Perfection

Post by Roddy Ring »

Jim Cohen makes a good point. I played on a local cable morning show with a friend to promote his performances that coming weekend. The rest of the band wasn't arriving til the afternoon after the TV appearance which is why he needed a sub. I did it and enjoyed it very much. I played at least one clinker so I never want to hear or see that performance. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

As a mechanical engineer we have the same problem. When designing a new product we will test and redesign a new product until it is perfect, which will never happen. There is a saying where I work, ‘At some point you have to shoot the engineer and release the product’.
Allan Haley

Post by Allan Haley »

My teacher used to say, "It's never finished, just abandoned."
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

An obsession with perfect also puts us into a defensive performance mindset—we try to avoid errors rather than play courageously on stage.
I suffered from DPM (defensive performance mindset) in the studio and consequentially never thought I gave a great performance there..
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

A recording should be a snapshot of what you're playing at the time. You shouldn't expect it to be definitive of your life's work.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Most times, good enough is good enough. Give it your best, within available time constraints, and then move on to something else. For instance, some players become so obsessed with perfecting their "tone" that they never learn to play very well. That's kinda like putting a flawless finish on a piece of crappy furniture.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

This thread brings to mind the old saying "Perfect is the enemy of good." And "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."