Push/Pull pot for tone/pickup selection on D8?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brennan Mangan

Push/Pull pot for tone/pickup selection on D8?

Post by Brennan Mangan »

May be in over my head, but I'm hoping to rewire a Vega D8 currently configured with a nonfunctioning three-way pot/two OIP caps controlling tone. The thought is to combine neck selection plus boo-wah without drilling space for a toggle switch or otherwise mounting one externally. Could I achieve neck isolation in this way without a three-way switch? Also, my understanding is that a 1M Linear pot is standard, but can't seem to find one that's switchable, only 250k and 500k. (Like this: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/produc ... witch.html)

Could it work with those values? If so, anyone feeling generous and care to sketch up a wiring diagram? To be clear, I'm working with one singe-coil on each neck.

Thanks for any input.
Robert Allen

Wiring for two pickups

Post by Robert Allen »

Here's the wiring for a Telecaster which has two single coil pickups. A p/p switch would have a different pinout. I'll see if I can find it for you and I'll look through my catalogs of electronics suppliers for a p/p with 1 Meg pot. If no one else finds a schematic with p/p switch online, I'll draw it and mail it to you.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1 ... rings-pt-2
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

Bourns makes a 1 Meg pot with p/p switch.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/54/db183-gtr-953218.pdf

This is from a Mouser catalog but they have a minimum of 1000 pieces on an order for this item, assuming your part number is PDB183-GTR01-105B0. The code on this site may give you a different model number after you plug in shaft length, style of shaft, etc. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
melbertguitars@gmail.com
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Tubesandmore.com has push pull pots in 1M as well as other options. No minimum on quantity.

Dave
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

David Ball wrote:Tubesandmore.com has push pull pots in 1M as well as other options. No minimum on quantity.

Dave
OP specified linear. I find only audio taper on this site. I may have missed it somewhere. Do you have part number for linear?
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Whoops--missed linear. No I only see audio taper with the switch.

Dave
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

I phoned Mouser who told me to phone Bourns who told me to call their supplier, ecomponents, and ask for a sample of this part. If I can get it, it'll be free and I'll send it on. Some corporations can be good and others never answer so we'll see where it goes.
Brennan Mangan

Post by Brennan Mangan »

Wow - this is why I love the forum! Thank you for all the info and assistance, Robert!

edit: and you too, Dave!

That tele wiring diagram looks good, but would it be much trouble to wire the 3-way to make the center position OFF rather than a blend?
Last edited by Brennan Mangan on 11 Jan 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brennan Mangan

Post by Brennan Mangan »

OK, reread your initial comments — I guess let's wait and see if the supplier comes through.
Robert Allen

Sample part arrived

Post by Robert Allen »

Part arrived, will mail to you tomorrow.