Anyone a Tabledit guru?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Adam Tracksler

Anyone a Tabledit guru?

Post by Adam Tracksler »

I'm tabbing out some songs and didnt know if there was a setting to not use open strings.... I'm manually going back and changing them, just didnt know if there was a way to set it so I didnt have to.

Thanks, ad
Fred Amendola

Post by Fred Amendola »

Not sure what you mean re: not using open strings. If you're entering your work into the tab staff, then you have control over it as you go. [A "0" would be an open string etc.]. The music staff takes care of itself.

More information ?
Adam Tracksler

Post by Adam Tracksler »

I'm going the other way around, putting notation in to get tab out. So when I put a "G" in it gives me the open G string in, instead of the 3rd fret of the string below it...
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Adam, the people at Tabledit are very good with responding to questions. I don't have an answer for you because I write the numbers straight in, but if you go on the Tabledit Facebook page or website, you will get an answer.
Fred Amendola

Post by Fred Amendola »

Adam,
I believe you'll have way less headaches by entering the tab, and letting the music notation write itself.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

When you enter the noes, TE has no way of knowing which string/fret you want that note on. As you know, there are many locations on your guitar for the same note. So yes, you will have to edit the tab after entering the notes.

Entering the tablature (instead of the notes) works best. It would be great if we could simply enter notes and the program would write the tablature exactly as we would play it on our steel guitars, but that's not gonna happen.
I think it is possible to import audio files to TE and it will write the notes and tab from the audio, but again, the tab will be placed on random frets/strings so you'll have to go through it and place the tab where you want it.
James Quillian

Post by James Quillian »

I do what you are doing all the time. As far as I know, there isn't a way to get the tab placed where you want it w/o doing it manually. Entering the notes first is useful for me only If I am tabing out something for which I have the music for another instrument. That way the timing is perfect and putting the tab in the right place is pretty simple.

It seams like there is a setting for not using open strings, I can't remember how to use it but I can tell you it doesn't help much.

Whereever tabledit puts the tab is not going to be where you would want it anyway. What I did was make an excel chart of the neck so that I can see all of the positions for every note, then place the tab in what I initially deem the best position. But, even that way I have to change it again after I play through it. Sometimes a lick will sound better sliding into a note rather than playing the notes on the same fret w/o a slide, for example.

It might help some to go to score/instrument and then check the box that says impact fingering and or octave. But I haven't found a setting that comes anywhere near to putting the tab where you would actually play it.