Keeping Intonation While Singing

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Agliata

Keeping Intonation While Singing

Post by Frank Agliata »

I've recently started playing with a new group, on guitar and pedal steel. It has been brought to my attention that my PSG intonation suffers a bit when I'm doing my background singing part. Now I am an experienced guitarist/bassist and have no problem playing and singing otherwise. But I guess, still being pretty much a novice on the steel, it is challenging to focus on my playing and adequately sing a harmony line as well. I'm sure given enough repetition, I will eventually get the hang of this, but in the meantime it's a cause of concern to my band mates.
I am appealing to my experienced and knowledgable forum friends for any advice or tips they may have to get me past this . . :(
GFI Expo X1, Melbert 8, Rukavina 6
always learning
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you can succeed in this, you are a better man than me! I find it almost impossible to sing while playing a steel guitar.
But then, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time! :whoa:
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I'm not a singer, so I can't speak from experience, but I have worked with those who play steel and sing, and do it very well.
The solution seems to be deceptively simple.

Don't play while you're singing, and don't sing while you're playing.
Donny Hinson

Re: Keeping Intonation While Singing

Post by Donny Hinson »

Frank Agliata wrote: It has been brought to my attention that my PSG intonation suffers a bit when I'm doing my background singing part...But I guess, still being pretty much a novice on the steel, it is challenging to focus on my playing and adequately sing a harmony line as well. I'm sure given enough repetition, I will eventually get the hang of this, but in the meantime it's a cause of concern to my band mates.
Do one or the other. While there are a very few that could pull this off (Buddy Emmons and Mark Bright come to mind), there are many more (myself included) that try, and wind up with the steel playing, the singing, and the audience...all suffering. I know players who have told me "Such-and-such does a great job singing and playing pedal steel at the same time!" And I just try to smile and be nice. :\ (I"m trying to get over being called "brutally honest".) :lol:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Don't play while you're singing, and don't sing while you're playing.
What Skip says..
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

I dunno guys, I had a problem with this initially and got over it pretty well.
Main thing is don't experiment on the steel while you're singing. Just play very familiar stuff while singing. It'll get better like everything else
Jb
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Allan Haley

Post by Allan Haley »

I can't sing when I'm trying to play steel. I can only do three things at once.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I used to be able to sing and play together but I don't sing much anymore. If I may boast just a bit, at one of the Larry Self steel shows in Debary Fl. the great Herby Wallace complimented me when I sang while playing "Night Life". He told me I hit the right notes singing and played all the steel fills while singing. That made my day. That was in the early 90's when I was playing seven nights a week between Church Street Station in Orlando and The Barn in Sanford Fl. It ain't happening anymore. Okay I'm done patting myself on the back.
Frank Agliata

Post by Frank Agliata »

Thanks for the input fella's. Yes, I may be biting off more than I can chew. But I'm not playing anything too complicated. Usually just chord changes with simple fills.
I believe I will eventually get comfortable enough with it to make it work. But still, I don't wan't to embarrass myself or the band when we play out. The steel is a beautiful instrument, but very unforgiving if you don't get it spot on. :?
GFI Expo X1, Melbert 8, Rukavina 6
always learning
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

I don't know if anyone knows Billy Poteet but he is a chosen one too. Played an Emmons and sang like Ray Price's doppelganger, I mean Billy is as awesome playing psg as he is a vocalist. I know some guys on here know Billy cause they asked if I knew him...maybe someone will chime in...Stormy
Don Barnhardt

Post by Don Barnhardt »

When you're actually singing just comp (chop chords etc.) It's damn near impossible play precisely and sing at the same time.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Don Barnhardt wrote:When you're actually singing just comp (chop chords etc.) It's damn near impossible play precisely and sing at the same time.
That's what I did last year while playing Christmas music...
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

I can do both, my rule: never move my bar and mouth at the same time:
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Bryan Bradfield

Post by Bryan Bradfield »

A big part of the problem is that both the voice and the steel are non-fretted instruments. If one of them drifts from A440, the other will probably follow.
A good example of this occurred when I participated as a dobroist on a recording, and a session fiddler was called in after I laid down my part. He requested that any unfretted instrument parts be muted while he added fiddle.
The message related to this thread is that trying to control two non-fretted instruments is asking for disaster.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I prefer to sing Giddy up Go in A so I can use only open strings on the steel.
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

And you do that song so well Mr. Bovine!
Jackson Pro-IV D-10, Fender Dual-Pro 8, Epiphone Zephyr-6