Mike Neer's Steelonious

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Steffen Gunter wrote:Before I buy the download – will there be a vinyl edition with a download code in the future? Because I'd be more interested in that …

Thanks and congrats to this fantastic production (as far as I can judge by listening to the snippets)!
Ha! No vinyl edition--I am too "small potatoes" for that kind of undertaking.
Steffen Gunter

Post by Steffen Gunter »

Mike Neer wrote: Ha! No vinyl edition--I am too "small potatoes" for that kind of undertaking.
Let's see how big this potato will grow, you never know.

Then it will be the CD from CD Baby.
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

I just heard a cut from the album on the Sunday Night Jazz show on KRFC-FM Fort Collins, CO. Sounds good! The DJ always names all the players on the tracks he plays and I heard your name and thought, "Hey, I know that guy!"
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Paul, this is the second week in a row that Mountain Standards Time played two tracks from the CD in one show. Quite an honor for me! It was great to hear Bye-Ya back to back with something from the new John Scofield CD.
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

Just bought thru Amazon. Looking forward to putting it into my commute schedule.
Steve
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

Mike Neer wrote:Paul, this is the second week in a row that Mountain Standards Time played two tracks from the CD in one show. Quite an honor for me! It was great to hear Bye-Ya back to back with something from the new John Scofield CD.
I missed it the week before. He plays a good selection of music covering a lot of ground, but a lot of new music as well as some classic stuff. I feel lucky to have such a great radio station in town.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Cartoonist Nina Paley drew this for me today. I love it!

Here's an outtake from the recording session. This one didn't make the cut, but if anyone remembers, this was the first tune I demo'd. Punk Klezmer funhouse music. This version wasn't afforded a good mix, just me mixing a little on my pc.

https://soundcloud.com/user-708420441/w ... us-outtake
Kevin Brown

nina paley

Post by Kevin Brown »

how bizarre nina and i are both velonauts, heres mine. Great record Mike, will purchase today
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I remember 'Well You Needn't' well, it was the first thing that got my attention, with it's klezmer punk funk
and some wackiness that suggested that this opus would do Monk proud.
I have to add what fun it's been for all (me at least) to participate vicariously in getting this thing to the top of the charts!
(at least the SGF poll) Continuing to follow the project, reading the reviews, seeing you captivate the press (is the cover of Time next?)
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Still love me? :D

If the answer is 'yes', then I'm hoping you can think of a radio station in your neck of the woods that might play my record. I've had some luck and have heard 7 of the tunes on community radio shows, mostly jazz. But I think it would do well on other stations that offer some other types of programming besides jazz. Do you know of any? Let me know.
Joe Snow

Post by Joe Snow »

You can hear some music from Steelonius tomorrow Sunday night around 8:35 pm central time on the Paul Slavens show on KXT 91.7 in Dallas. Radio time on a popular music show in a big market.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

"Steelonius" and Buck's cd are on full rotation for me!
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Mike,
Get a hold of KHUM in Ferndale CA. I know Darren Weiss that DJ's there once a week.He'd play it and could get it in the hands of the other DJ's there. They would dig it for sure. Tell him we're friends .

The Steelonious cartoon is too cool.
Todd
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks for all the suggestions! So far, I've heard all but one of the songs played on the radio, which is really cool. Imagine that!

This morning I took some video with my phone and made a little music video for Ugly Beauty. The video was taken in an area that I grew up in--a historically industrial area. We played on the railroad tracks, in the old factories (most of which no longer exist, including the old RCA plant in Harrison, NJ). The video presents the ugliness of progress amidst the backdrop of nature's beauty.

Ugly Beauty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBNTg0TSdBY
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Man is that ugly! This is a gas, and really, just driving by those places like it's a travelogue, beautiful.
You begin to hear harmonic activity that sounds like an orchestra--or is it your imagination? No, maybe the B3.
To get that kind of radio play in this amount of time, I think it's about the music.

This tune convinces me on the bass player for the album.
Man, is the sound of this thing nice!
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Mike, I love all your songs. I'm a dog for ballads, though.
Contact Lucky Oceans via the forum.He is a DJ on WABC in Australia. I imagine he would play your wonderful record. He did mine (and I got paid some dollars from BMI).
Let's talk on the phone after the Thanksgiving dust settles.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Here is a brief review of the record by noted jazz writer Scott Yanow.

http://www.lajazzscene.buzz/waxing.html
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Mike Neer wrote:Here is a brief review of the record by noted jazz writer Scott Yanow.

http://www.lajazzscene.buzz/waxing.html
Congrats on the good review!
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Mike Neer wrote: Here's an outtake from the recording session. This one didn't make the cut, but if anyone remembers, this was the first tune I demo'd.
I'm walking on the ceiling, that's so cool.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I wanted to share another review. It's a lot of fun to read others' descriptions of the steel guitar. This one is very entertaining and very flattering. Keep in mind, I didn't pay any of these writers. :lol:

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/steeloniou ... ?width=768
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Mike Neer wrote: Keep in mind, I didn't pay any of these writers. :lol:
you don't need to!
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Well deserved accolades Mike.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I just wanted to post one last thing in this thread before asking for it to be closed. Here is the review in the current (February 2017) issue of Vintage Guitar magazine:

I think this thread has run its course and I thank everyone for the kind words and support. Sales have been pretty good up to a few weeks ago, but have basically hit a brick wall. There is so much involved in making a successful record--much that kind of goes beyond what I am capable of doing. I can handle the music/production portion just fine, but as far as the promotion, there's only so much I can do.

I'm not ready to pack it in on trying, because I'd really like to reach a wider audience. Even among steel players and guitarists, not all are very open to wanting to listen to something out of their comfort zone. That's fine and I get it.

Anyway, please close this. I'm open to discussing things about the record, but they will get buried here.