Telonics adjustable pole pickups - 84 & 128

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Mueller

Telonics adjustable pole pickups - 84 & 128

Post by Steve Mueller »

Anybody use these pickups? How do they sound tone and separation-wise? I have Tonealigners now, I like them but I may get another guitar and Bob Hoffnar is no longer making the 12st pickups.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I was told that the Telonics and Tone Aligner pickups are virtually identical.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
George Macdonald

Telonics pickups

Post by George Macdonald »

Steve, The Telonics 427 is another excellent 12 string pickup with adjustable poles. I have had one in my Carter for a couple of years now.
Last edited by George Macdonald on 31 May 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I have bought several of the Telonics pickups and have never been disappointed with the outcome. Not hard to adjust and both highs are good and lots of lows.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I have the 427 in my 12 string MSA and love it. Totally adjustable for individual string volume and tone balance. I use it in the studio because it's dead quiet.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Michael Robertson

Post by Michael Robertson »

Dennis Detweiler wrote:I have the 427 in my 12 string MSA and love it. Totally adjustable for individual string volume and tone balance. I use it in the studio because it's dead quiet.
Dennis I don’t see the 427 Telonics pickup on their web site.
How can I get some info on the 427?
Thanks
No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Dennis Detweiler

Possibly, they don't make that model anymore. However, they can probably wind one on request? The telonics website contact would get you the info. They're good at replying if you have a question.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Michael Robertson

Telonics

Dennis I just received an email from Dave Beaty about another issue.
Regarding the impedance adjustment on their pedal.
A perfect detailed explanation..
Perhaps I'll consider the 128 for my S12
Thanks
Michael
Michael Robertson

wire broke

Mike Perlowin wrote:I was told that the Telonics and Tone Aligner pickups are virtually identical.
Mike perhaps in design but hopefully not in construction.
I love the way they sound but two of them broke on me (the wire broke off).
I was using a small very light brush to clean the guitar and the wire broke.
Not enough to re-solder either.
I couldn’t get it repaired or replaced so I went with another pickup.
Dennis Detweiler

The 128 with double row string adjustments is the way to go. Specific tone and volume adjustment on each string is specific to balance. The humbucker is a plus in the studio.
Prior to purchasing the Telonics pickup, I used a Truetone wound to 18000 and got great tone, but had problems with hum in some venues and in the studio. I have a high power sub-station across the street from me and always had hum at home. No hum with the Telonics pickup.
Michael Robertson

Dennis Detweiler wrote:The 128 with double row string adjustments is the way to go. Specific tone and volume adjustment on each string is specific to balance. The humbucker is a plus in the studio.
Prior to purchasing the Telonics pickup, I used a Truetone wound to 18000 and got great tone, but had problems with hum in some venues and in the studio. I have a high power sub-station across the street from me and always had hum at home. No hum with the Telonics pickup.
That's where I am now True Tone but want a humbucker...
I tried the Tone Aligner with mixed results (see post to Mike Perlowin)
Thanks Dennis
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

I use the Telonics model #84 and model #409 on my MSA Millennium guitar. They have a very similar voice, but I prefer the model #84. Telonics products are excellent.
Michael Robertson

Re: 427

Michael Robertson wrote:
Dennis Detweiler wrote:I have the 427 in my 12 string MSA and love it. Totally adjustable for individual string volume and tone balance. I use it in the studio because it's dead quiet.
Dennis I don’t see the 427 Telonics pickup on their web site.
How can I get some info on the 427?
Thanks
Dennis ...Talked to Dave the 427 is available.....gonna do it.
Thanks for the info
Michael
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I have the 409's in my Zum Hybrids and just love them, best humbuckers I have ever used I reckon and of course you can customise the sound and setup.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

As it turned out, I recently had a chance to compare my Tone Aligner with a Telonics. (I love the MSA modular pickup system.) The sounded quite different. I wound up getting rid of the Tobe Aligner and keeping the Telonics.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin