Kayton Roberts

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Roy Thomson

Kayton Roberts

Post by Roy Thomson »

Please check the "Events and Announcements" for information and particulars on the 11th. Annual Hank Snow Tribute featuring Kayton Roberts and the Rainbow Ranch Boys.
Also " An Evening With Kayton Roberts"... all happening in beautifull Nova Scotia August 17th-19th.

Roy Thomson
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

One of the things I admire most about Kayton is how he has grown with the years. I saw him 40 years ago, about the time Admirable Byrd was out with Jerry Byrd doing all the pedal work and sounds with bar slants. Now here I was, face to face with Kayton, him doing the same magic work on the strngs

Foolishly, I imagined he had a special tuning and I asked him what it was. He replied that if I really wanted to know, I would find it......

Three years ago at Carl Dixon's show in Atlanta, I talked with Kayton again and was blown away by his wanting to show me things he knew I was looking for. I think he talked to me for almost an hour as we listened to other steel guitarists doing the Sunday Morning Church services. He left a lasting impression on me and I know he will do the same for your folks.

As a finale, in Atlanta, he did Steeling The Blues and got a standing ovation for his artistry and musical expertise.

Best Regards, Paul

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Kayton is hands-down a master of the instrument. anyone who has an opportunity to hear him should take advantage.

Here's a link to an interview with Kayton from about 1980 ...
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/002128.html
Keith Grubb

Post by Keith Grubb »

This is a bit off topic, but...I tuned one of my necks to the tuning I think Kayton uses: A (low) A C# E G A C E and all I have to say is wow!!! Strumming across strings 8 to 3 really sounds great. I know there is other music in this tuning, but I really like those low notes.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Keith Grubb on 12 August 2001 at 04:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

I would like to share this true life story with you folks.

When I was asked to put on a steel show in Atlanta by Hal Rugg and Larry Sasser, I knew that its success depended in large part on getting the best players I could.

Among the players, Kayton Roberts crossed my mind many times. I had never met the man. But admired his playing behind Hank Snow for years. Scotty had told me he had tried for 25 yrs to get Kayton to play at the ISGC, but to no avail.

I called Kayton and sure enough he said flatly "NO!". I would not let up. For over an hour by telephone he was adamant as he repeated several times,

"I don't play pedals. These shows are all about pedals. The people don't care about my type of playing any more".

I would not listen to it. I kept on. For over an hour I used everything I could possible muster. Finally, he said,

"I never met anyone that was so determined as you".

I told him, I flat wanted him and the people would love him. That seemed to turn the tide. So he said,

"I will think about it and let you know".

As soon as we hung up, I called Herb Remington and Little Roy Wiggins. I told them both,

"I have him on the fence. You push him over it!"

They did and the next day he called me and said,

"The whole world is calling me begging me to play. So, I guess I will do it!".

And did he ever. I have had many thrills in my life. But none ever topped my sitting on the stage and watching this man perform. He is truly awesome. And the greatest thrill that weekend was when I asked him this question after his tremendous encore,

"Kayton, IF I decide to hold this show again next year, would you come?"

He replied,

"You would HAVE to drive me away". He was smiling from ear to ear. The house was on their feet lauding this man and then when I thought it could not get any better, David Russell began the kickoff to Hank's infamous "Movin On".

When Kayton sat down for his second encore doing that "boowah" with his tone control as David and Bobby Caldwell played the melody to Hank's themesong, I lost it. Totally and completely lost it.

I shall cherish that moment as long as I live.

God bless Kayton Roberts and all of you,

carl<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by C Dixon on 12 August 2001 at 05:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Carl: I saw you up there but didn't know it was you back then. Didn't you say something to him like; It just goes to show you, your guitar doesn't have to be new to sound beautiful ??

I thought to myself: This guy likes good music just like the others who are here this early on a sunday morning !! I played the night before and got a couple hours of sleep before traveling to Atlanta. Stayed the whole day too.

I was talking to Hal on stage as they were tearing it all down. I reminded him of an old show he was on with Don Gibson where Don had said about his playing: "Have A Heart, Hal !" Hal said someone had just sent him a tape of that very show and he was glad I had remembered it.

That was one for the memory archives and once again, I am in your debt for bringing it to us here in Georgia. Thanks a Million !

Best Regards, Paul
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

It's this weekend.
I will be there.
RT
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I got there.
This was a well attended event. I would say probably 1000 people in a large exhibition building. The sound as you might expect was not good.
Kayton played with a local group in the afternoon. For his evening performance with the Rainbow Ranch Boys I got up off to the side of the stage and the sound was much better... but not great.
Kayton played well. Has some great effects, is very loose and has a good time on stage.
Unfortunately he was not given a chance to solo.... by that I mean play an instrumental.. Most of the attention was given to the "sound alike" Hank Snow singers.
A good time was had by all.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 20 August 2001 at 07:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Image Image Image Image