Just seen a post by Jim Cohen

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Lambert

Just seen a post by Jim Cohen

Post by Greg Lambert »

This guy is one of the best players in the country. I use to watch him at the international steel convention in St. Louis. HE always amazed me with his style and his CD is absolutely one of the best around.

I am really glad I joined this site now with players like Jim on board.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Yep, Jim is one of the best out there. He plays great Jazz, Country, Pop, well, he just plays great. I really like his rendition of "The Prayer" which is probably the one you're referring to. When I grow up, I want to play just like him. :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Ain't no Flies on Jim Cohen!!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Jim plays so well that I'm convinced he's signed a pact with the devil. :D
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Want to see Jim Cohen live and get to hang with him to boot? Come to the P.S.G.A. show November 6 in Norwalk, CT where Jim will be one of the featured players. All for a mere $20 admission fee.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306929
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well, this is a nice surprise; thank you all for the nice remarks. I'm looking forward to playing at the PSGA show on Nov 6 (my birthday!), where I know I'll see John and Stu and a large bunch of old and new friends. What better way to spend one's birthday? :)

And, Roger, as for having signed a pact with the Devil, if I'd really done so, I sold out too cheaply; I should have asked for more... ;)
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

With or without the Phillies cap, Jimbeau is versatile as they come. I always enjoy playing guitar behind him, he is very talented, and a great individual also. Love ya Jim.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I agree, I always liked the way he reaches out to be different. If I'm at any show he's playing on I make sure to be at his set.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks again, guys. It seems that you're not the only ones who think my music is diverse...

James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I have no idea how diverse you are as I have only seen some of your playing. But you played "Some day Soon" at a show that I think was in Ireland. That was some monster classic steel and was LOADED with really cool right hand techniques and tone to die for. In fact, its on youtube somewhere. REALLY fine country steel with killer tone and such cool execution of chimes and muting. Great stuff.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's really good, Jim! It makes a good instrumental. I usually sing this tune but, perhaps, I'd cause less anguish if I just played it instead.
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thank you, James and Roger.

But enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think about me? ;)
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Cripes, people! Could you stop laying it on so thick? Here in Philly, some of us have to work with the guy and it would be nice to keep him at least a WEE bit humble, dammit!

Next gig:

"Hey Jim...do you have a setlist for us?"

"Nope......but have you seen all these rave reviews people on the internet have written about me? Here, I printed enough for everyone to read!"

:whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Take no notice, Jim F. - we're only pulling his leg.

:D