I need help identifying a pickup please

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Roller

I need help identifying a pickup please

Post by Jerry Roller »

I traded for a LeGrande and this pickup was on the E9th neck. It sounds fine but it just don't look right on an Emmons guitar. Can someone recognize what make it is and tell me? I need to know what it is in order to decide what to do with it. The top bobbin plate is only 1/16th" thick. Everything about it other than the top looks like it was made by the Emmons Company. Magnets are slightly off center like Emmons, lead wires look like Emmons, even the way the leads are connected to the coil on bottom of it looks like Emmons. The sound would pass for an Emmons single coil also. Please someone tell me what it is.
Jerry
Jack Goodson

pickup?

Post by Jack Goodson »

jerry, didn't some of the earlier emmons single coils not have the white line around the top plate?....thanks jack
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Jack, they did but the top plate was 1/8" thick. This one is 1/16" thick.
Jerry
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

'George L' was manufacturing a single coil that appeared very similar to the one pictured (seem to recall that it was referred to as the 'TW' or "Traditional Wound"). Carter installed them in their Magnum series if I recall.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Jerry,
The connecting wire looks like stock Emmons wire. Could be someone had it rewound and replaced the top plate in the process?
The TW pickup is a hum-cancelling pickup I designed with GeorgeL.. The TW indicates my name, just as the PF and E66 reflected those names who designed them. These pickups look nothing like the pic . I have no knowledge of a GeorgeL " traditional wound" . I do know, GeorgeL made a run of what looked like single coils with the double white stripes, however, this pickup was also hum-cancelling using double stack magnets.
Last edited by Tommy White on 14 Jul 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I believe that the single coils that I mentioned were factory installed on the Magnum and the Carter Starter guitars(Jerry Roller plays a Magnum, perhaps he can clarify this point). When I spoke with John Fabian a few years back he referred to these as 'Traditional Wound' pickups or 'TW's'.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Was just going to say that David, I had a Magnum that the pickups looked just like Emmons single coil with out the white inside top portion. In fact Jerry, it looked just like one you pictures.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jerry Roller

**Please Close**

Post by Jerry Roller »

It looks like a Magnum pickup to me also but I thought I remembered the Magnum pickups having two 1/16" holes in the top plate. Perhaps some did and some did not? I am going to assume it is a Magnum pickup so we can close it.
Thanks to all who responded,
Jerry
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Just for more clarification, as far as it goes: The GeorgeL pickup that I ordered on my Carter looked like a single coil pickup with visible pole pieces. It was called the TPP (Traditional Pole Piece, I believe). It was humbucking. I don't know how. It's probably the one that Tommy W refers to, with stacked magnets? I liked it but it was very microphonic and I changed it out.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Tommy, I bought an EMCI from Mike Cass and it had George L's TW pickups on it and it sounded tremendous. Mike told me to don't do any pickup changing experiments on it that he had already do so and the TW's was a perfect match for the guitar. I have a bad habit of getting rid of great guitars and that was no exception to that. I have a pair of the TPP George L's that I have put on a LeGrande that I am rebuilding but I have never ever heard them, but though they are humbuckers they look exactly like a single coil but they don't have that very thin top plate. I do believe this is a Carter Magnum pickup that I have. One of my favorite guitars is a Carter Magnum but it has Alumitones on it. It lives at my Church and gets played once a week.
Jerry
Mark Kuziak

Post by Mark Kuziak »

Jerry, these are the pickups that came on the guitar I purchased from you. Are these the George L's referred to above? Was just wondering. Mark
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Jerry why the TW a perfect match for the EMCI? I mean I'm nobody to question Mike Cass but I just have an inquiring mind. I had 66 on the EMCI I sold to skeeter. I'm about to get that guitar back and I KNOW I ain't gonna find any chrome 705s. So maybe I'll put some TWs on it, eh?

Tommy, what impedance did you end up with? I've tried the PFs, and didn't like them as well as the E66. But didn't particularly think the 66 sounded all that great with EMCI.

Thanks, Bill
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bill I had an E66 on the C6th neck of my MCI and it sounded pretty good, and a 10-1 on E9th ....most certainly an improvement on the original Barcus Berry's that it came with when I got it new. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Telonics PU's I have installed on it now.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Paddy, the Barcus berry I guess was on later emci. Both mci guitars I've owned had bl 705. When I got the emci it had original geo L on it. I don't know if skeeter changed them or not but it's the one I'm about to buy back. Steve told me some emci had bl705 and some came with the BB. Not sure on this one.

I had one BB on a gfi. I didn't care for it.

If you know of any original BL 705, I will buy them. I would like to find 4 of them.

I guess we kind of got off Jerrys topic about the single coil. Sorry about that.