Old Hawaiian 78 Rpm Found In Buenos Aires

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ariel Lobos

Old Hawaiian 78 Rpm Found In Buenos Aires

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Hi there,i'm in old vinyl lp's again like a lot of people are doing in this days.I was looking for some country,folk and other styles with steel guitar and in an old shop I founded a box with hawaian's 78 rpm.
One is Roy Smeck two songs from old movies(i will go to pick the cd recording on monday and I will tell you the exact name),ferrara's "cielito lindo" and "o sole mio" and a lot of disc's of an orchestra called "felix mendelson" along with a few more.The price is really cheap,one dollar and cts for each one.Could some body tell me the mane of the biggers orchestras of that era? I know the betters steelers were smeck,ferrara (or ferrera?),joseph kekuku,sol hoppy,freddy tavares etc.
so,if somebody are interested in that stuff,i will pleased to share it.BS AS was a great and important city and port at those years,so,Im sure is full of treasures like that,I will cheack it for more.Regards
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Hola Ariel,
Mi mama y papa son de Buenos Aires.I play Hawaiian as well as old Jazz and even tango of that era on steel guitar.

I would say see if you can find a Los Lupes (maybe also called Los Lobos)album. That's Oscar Aleman with a steel guitar player. I don't know if it was ever recorded but,t hey did tango and milonga with guitar and steel guitar.

You might also enjoy King Benny Nawahi

Bienvenido

mi nombre: Adriel...pretty close ;)
Ron Whitfield

Aleman with steel?! Who knew?

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Now, that's interesting.

Ariel, Felix Mendelssohn And His Hawaiian Serenaders were the preiminent 'European' version of Hawaiian music troupes of their day, or maybe even any day. They were great, and included many Polynesian musicians and dancers for authenticity, as well as some of the best steelers produced outside of America. Roland Peachy being tops.

BTW, it Sol Hoopii and Freddie Tavares.
Two of the very best steelers, and Tavares went on to fame at FenderCo with his creations of the Jazzmaster and Stratocaster guitars.
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Thanks guys for your answers.
AJ: Wowwww ,I'm tango guitarist,both spanish and electric (graduated)and is the first time I hear about oscar aleman playing with an steeler!!,is increideble your knowledge about history,I promise you, I will hunt those records,just wait me.I can asume you know about "la cumparsita" played by jerry Bird ? I never here it,is the old Tango right? because there's another cuban song named la comparsita,so,i hesitate about it...
Ron: thanks for the info,I will buy those records to make an mp3,I know about freddy tavares fender's credits and i guess he was the man who recorded the old walt disney cartoons? right? when I was in S t louis at the Scottys convention I was in front of he's plaque and I Thought how many times I listened this man when I was a kid in the seventies.
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

again,Freddie
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Ariel,

Lovely to hear from you and Buenos Aires, and tangos... Steel guitar tangos are very attractive, but I have not heard many. I may start a new thread on this subject. By the way, the Cuban song is called " La Comparsa", composed by Ernesto Lecouna, and is no relation to " La Cumparasita" that Jerry Byrd played. Here is a steel guitar version of " La Comparsa"

http://www.hsga.org/membersrecordings/K ... mparsa.mp3

Kay
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Beautifull kay !, nice version,i guess is a bolero right?.So,I only know about jerry's la cumparsita,Do you know about more tangos played in steel? I gave paul franklin two tango cd's,hope he like it and record a tango some day.I was thinking about translate a few to steel and then show scotty but now I see thre's another steelers interested like you and AJ,that's great!.well I have tangomusic in scores and cd's and a kind of real book,if someone are interested we can see the way to share it,I'm planning to go st louis again this year but you know,it depends of the world's economical situation.Regards guys !
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

moving from my apartment today and tomorrow. So I will post after. :)
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Hi folks, finally i found it, Oscar Aleman played the regular guitar, Brazilian Gastón Lobo played the hawaian guitar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9pcSIpmqM

So sad to see Adriel passed, i was thinking to share this with him. RIP My friend.
Last edited by Ariel Lobos on 1 Jul 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShoBud The Professional 72.Emmons PP D10 83. Fender Stringmaster, triple neck. 1927 Weissenborn style 1. Fender Twin Reverb 77. Fender Princeton Reverb 78.
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Here is La cumparsita, traditional tango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoFFlGwD3Yc
ShoBud The Professional 72.Emmons PP D10 83. Fender Stringmaster, triple neck. 1927 Weissenborn style 1. Fender Twin Reverb 77. Fender Princeton Reverb 78.
Andy Costigan

Post by Andy Costigan »

here is a whole album of their early recordings with a history of the duo.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=464j5xqt31U
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Thanks! This is a jewel
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

La Familia De Ukuleles also prominently features a metal-bodied lap guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-o_kS9MWI