Amp Sound disappears...

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Wood

Amp Sound disappears...

Post by Steve Wood »

Wondering if you could help me with a problem I've been having.

I was playing an outdoor festival and during sound check my Peavey NV1000 would intermittently go completely silent while I played, for 3-5 seconds at a time. No crackles, no pops, just dead silence and then back in. My power light would remain on.

I replaced all the cords, removed any pedals in my chain, checked the connections to the speaker, checked the power cable connection, and it still happened once more. Fortunately it was okay for the actual gig.

The sound guy was very helpful and patient, but was as puzzled as I was. The only thing he suggested was a power issue (we were on a fold-out trailer, but the stage power seemed adequate, all plugs secure, etc. though he said they were working off of only half the breakers they needed and were having trouble with flickering lighting, too). Nobody else's amps were having issues.

The only other time this happened was with my Peavey Session 400 a couple years back (again, on an even more rickety flatbed trailer stage).

My gut says it isn't my amp, as I've had no other problems at bars, theatres, etc.

My volume pedal scratches here and there, but is otherwise in good repair.

I assume any cable issues would be crackly and come with movement/plugging in of the cables, etc.

Are there issues specific to Peavey regarding power?

Someone suggested maybe my effects loop had 'opened up' and taken the sound.

Might you have any insight into this problem? Have you heard it before?

Any insight would be helpful and much appreciated!
Cheers!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Get a 6 inch or 1 foot cable, run it from preamp out to power amp in.
I'd suspect those switching jacks that are known to do that.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Along with Lane's suggestion, you might try spraying some 'Deoxit' (green can)on the jacks prior to the procedure. This method will clean and lube the contacts at the same time (might be helpful to do all of the jacks including any on the rear panel).
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Along with the Preamp Out/Power Amp In jacks the Pre EQ and Post EQ effects loops have the same configuration (switching contact on the "IN" jacks). Just spraying into the jack may not get the switching contact. Hit or miss on that.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Mike Brown

Power

Post by Mike Brown »

I have experienced the "muting" that you have described, only my band played an outside gig and the bandstand was positioned approximately 100 feet out from the AC source. Yes, you guessed it............the amp began muting.

Digital power amplifiers are more sensitive to voltage fluctuation than analog amplifiers. I tried to ensure that any gig I play, that there is stable and enough voltage for the band.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Re-do the terminals on your George L cords.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Keith, I've been using George L's ever since they came out in the 80's. I have only had one connection go bad and that's been at least 15 years ago.

I made a set for our lead guitar player 12 years ago and he is still using them, without problems.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Here is a calculator to see how much voltage you are losing
http://buyextensioncord.com/info_voltage_drop.shtml

And here's a cool little meter that lets you see how much voltage you have available and how much power you are drawing
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt- ... /202196386
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

I'm not too familiar with the Peavey, but I have an ADA Microtube 200 power amp that utilizes a small neon bulb and photocell receiver. The neon light strength indicates proper voltage is available and safe to operate the MOSFET power amp stage. If voltage gets too low causing the neon to dim, it cuts brown power to the power amp and a 'protect' light is illuminated. When power is returned and the neon bulb brightens, power is returned to the MOSFET.
I learned of this because the bulbs decay over time and I have recently replaced mine because my amp wouldn't power up without shining a bright light into the fan vent opening.
It could be a similar safety is designed into the Peavey, but no protect indicator.
Patrick
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Sorry, need to clarify my suggestion. Try spraying the Deoxit directly onto the cord's 1/4" plug (especially the tip) and then insert and reinsert the plug into each jack a few times.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

David, that can clean the jack but unfortunately not the extra "normal thru" contact.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I really suspect it was low power.
Having done sound for steel guitar shows in hotels for many years, I experienced that a couple of times when I used NV1000's for backline amps.
In fact even my Tascam CD recorder would do the same thing.

When we were video taping, sometimes on the monitor, we could see the size of the video actually shrink when the band required peak power.

And yes Jack Stoner, George L's is still the best out there and I did not see Steve mention that he was even using George L's cables.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

Thanks for you time, lads.
It's given me some reassurance that I'm not crazy!

Mike Brown, my gut feeling says this is the answer; I'm just hesitant when I play outdoor stages.

I do use George L cables, they haven't given me any issue, and I've never experienced this problem indoors. Maybe just conicidence.

Wish me luck over a summer of festivals!
Mike Brown

Muting

Post by Mike Brown »

I haven't received complaints of this happening in quite awhile, but if there is another wireless device transmitting in the area, it could happen again. Wireless has improved, so it may never happen again too.
Murnel Babineaux

Post by Murnel Babineaux »

The late 80's/ early 90's Session 400 Limited will do the same thing..Cut out because of voltage sag.
Rittenberry D10 E9/C6 Session 400
Sandy Inglis

Post by Sandy Inglis »

Hi Steve
I had a problem with my NV1000, it would occasionally reduce to low power.
I re-seated the Molex connectors on the power amp Board (mainly the power supply cables) and it hasn't failed since (touch wood).
Sandy
01'Zumsteel D10 9+9; Sho Bud D10 SuperPro; 6 String Lap Steel (Homemade); Peavey Nashville 1000; Fender Deluxe 85;
1968 Gibson SG; Taylor 710 CE; Encore Tele Copy; Peterson Tuner; HIWATT T40 C 40W/20W Combo
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Next time give the amp a "WhAcK" on the top, if it comes back on it's probably the age-old Peavey Cold Solder issue (that Peavey will deny exists)

I know of no less than a dozen Peavey amps of all makes/styles that have had this problem. In fact, I have 2 of them now. This only seems to happen when I'm out in the sun or after the amp has been on a while.

If it is, look for areas of weak soldering that happen when the amp gets warm and everything expands, and touch it up with a low wattage soldering pen.

(No haters please)
JB
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Mike Brown

Peavey

Post by Mike Brown »

Boy there sure is lot of technical "experts" here.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Sorry Mike
But I have been using peavey amps nearly exclusively since
The early 80s and this has been an issue as long as I can
Remember.
Hey, I love Peavey amps, and I love to eat hot peppers too,
But they can be a pain in the rear too.
I KNOW many many guys on here know what I'm saying is
True and that its been an issue for many years. You have
to whack the darn things once in a while when they get hot
and cut out.
Nothing personal Bro
JB
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Sandy Inglis

Post by Sandy Inglis »

Hello Mike
Yes I am a 'Technical Expert'!
I have worked all my working life in Electronics. First as a (Registered) Radio and TV Seviceman,then the rest of it as a Medical Electronics Technician. I have also been a musician for just as long and consider myself knowledgeable in this field, although I rarely spout it!
Some of us are trying offer plausible solutions based on our own experience to someone in need!
I would (and have) welcome any help or suggestions with any problem I was having, which is why I appreciate this forum.
Sandy
01'Zumsteel D10 9+9; Sho Bud D10 SuperPro; 6 String Lap Steel (Homemade); Peavey Nashville 1000; Fender Deluxe 85;
1968 Gibson SG; Taylor 710 CE; Encore Tele Copy; Peterson Tuner; HIWATT T40 C 40W/20W Combo
Mike Brown

Connections

Post by Mike Brown »

Yes, I have to agree with you on the Molex connectors had the tendency to loosen, but I'll be honest with you. I have a Nashville 400 that I purchased in 1983 and aside from a return jack problem, I haven't had a bit of problem with any of the Molex connections. Lucky I guess.

In retrospect, I worked in the repair area for over 10 years and yes, our techs tightened the Molex connections on products when they were being serviced, but a Molex connection is quick connect without soldering and we rarely saw that as being the root of the problem when the product was sent to us. It was usually something else that caused the symptom. Oh well, I respect your input and experience.