Traded in my Live Wire cable for Mogami Gold.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith Hilton

Traded in my Live Wire cable for Mogami Gold.

Post by Keith Hilton »

I took 2-3 foot, and 2-10 foot Live Wire guitar cables back to Guitar Center. Exchanged them for 1-3 foot, and 1-10 foot Mogami Gold cables. Had to pay $27.91 difference. The Live Wire cables had noise when used with any kind of pre-amp in the signal chain. No noise when the Live Wire cables were used with passive components in the signal chain. I came to the conclusion that a low quality conductive metal was used in the Live Wire shielding. The cable shielding is the ground. If the grounding metal has poor conductivity, then a possible ground loop situation develops. A ground loop means audio noise. I am never again going to take guitar cables for granted. Remember the story of the guy who bought a $4,500.00 steel guitar, then went to a pawn shop and bought connecting cables for $4.50. I am now convinced that the quality of hookup cables has a lot to do with sound quality, and any noise in the system. I am not saying buy Mogami Gold. I am saying buy quality hookup cords.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've had no problems since using skinny george l's cords for everything except the longer cord to my amp.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Chris, George L cable is excellent cable. As good as any cable on the market.
Doug Paluch

Post by Doug Paluch »

I agree with Chris. I have the skinny George l, except for the run to my amp, which I use the thicker George l. never had a reason to switch. Good stuff.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

I too use George Ls for everything but the long run to the amp. But what does this mean? Does it mean we really don't like all the highs are steels give out?

Dan
Richard Wilhelm

Post by Richard Wilhelm »

I use all George cable except the cable coming out of my guitar. Which is a Zaolla Silerline to a Peavy Valverb, of which is used as a booster/buffer to get my sound thru my pot pedal. Its a richer sound than having all GL's. They are quite expensive but when I bought it about 20 years ago, it was a little over $100. Worth every penny to me. Just saying that mixing your GL cable with something else can improve your sound.
"Be Kind to Animals, don't eat Them"
"If you know music, you°ll know most everything you°ll need to know" Edgar Cayce
"You're only young forever" Harpo Marx

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.
Doug Paluch

Post by Doug Paluch »

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:I too use George Ls for everything but the long run to the amp. But what does this mean? Does it mean we really don't like all the highs are steels give out?

Dan
Just the opposite. I have spectra flex and monster cables that sound like I put a blanket on my amp. I feel George l's don't do that.
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:... Does it mean we really don't like all the highs are steels give out? ...
I have a thirty-foot Koil Kord on my wish list! If the plugs are not soldered to the cable, I do not want it! I have never had any problems with Live Wire Advantage Cables either! End of Post! I am about to run out of Exclamation Points! 8)
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke