New Book "Kila Kila" by John Troutman

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Matthew Dawson

Post by Matthew Dawson »

I'm about 30 pages in and am learning all kinds of stuff I didn't know about the guitar in Hawaii and Hawaii in general. Great stuff and well written!
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

Duane--thanks so much for picking up the book! The Maui steel festival looked fantastic from the FaceBook coverage. Wish I could have been there!

Matthew-- I'm so glad you are digging the book so far! Thank you for your kind praise.

John
Steve Marinak

Post by Steve Marinak »

I got my hardback book today. Very nice. Looking forward to reading the entire thing.
Steve Marinak
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

Awesome, Steve--thanks. I hope you enjoy it!
John
Former Member

Post by Former Member »

Congrats! You and your book made it to:
Na Mea Hawaii!
http://www.nameahawaii.com/product/kika ... ern-music/
Cool website for all things Hawaiian
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Frank James Pracher

Post by Frank James Pracher »

Just placed my order, looks like a great read!
"Don't be mad honey, but I bought another one"
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

Thanks to Frank, Andy, and Ron for their posts. I had a lovely book launch at Nā Mea Hawaiʻi on Sunday, with a lot of guys coming out to play, including Ron Johnson and Isaac Akuna on steel. I had a fun interview on Kauaʻi's KKCR this morning, and on Friday night I give a talk at Talk Story bookstore in Hanapepe, Kauaʻi-- having a blast, talking steel guitar nonstop, and even playing on occasion!!
John
Loren Depping

Post by Loren Depping »

John, can't wait to pick up a copy of your book. You chose a great place to showcase it in Talk Story on Kaua`i. Ed and Cynthia are fantastic people and are really dedicated to the island, the folks who live there and the culture. Wish I'd been able to be there, but I live vicariously through your book until I can return. It sounds fantastic. Mahalo and Aloha!
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

Hi Loren,

Thanks for posting-- Ed and Cynthia were indeed wonderful. We had a great turnout--I met several steel guitarists and musicians whom I had not before met, and we even sold a bunch of books. Cynthia provided for me a delicious dinner. It was a wonderful coda to a lovely visit! I hope you enjoy the book!

John
Mark Smalley

Kika Kila

Post by Mark Smalley »

John, I ordered your book, should receive it today. After reading an interview with you about the book, I'm anxiously awaiting the treasure trove of info it delivers. Thank you so much for your work to increase the body of knowledge concerning the history of the steel guitar. Please know it is greatly appreciated.

mjs
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

Thank you Mark! I am elated by the positive response that the book has generated so far. It was a labor of love to participate in the growing body of knowledge on the steel that we are collecting in books, out there on the internet, and of course here on the forum. Thanks!
John
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

John Troutman wrote:Thank you Mark! I am elated by the positive response that the book has generated so far. It was a labor of love to participate in the growing body of knowledge on the steel that we are collecting in books, out there on the internet, and of course here on the forum. Thanks!
John
I just finished reading my new copy, and I want to thank Mr. Troutman for all the work involved putting this together.

As a New Orleans native, I also thought that the theme of the connection between early Hawaiian guitarists and jazz was quite interesting.