Zoom "B1on" and some questions.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Karl Paulsen

Zoom "B1on" and some questions.

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Recently bought a Zoom B1on.
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar ... ects-pedal
The main reason was to have an emergency backup so if my bass rig goes down in a gig I can still have a bit of control over what I sent to the PA, but I also wanted a headphone amp.

However it turns out to sound pretty good with PSG and with it's aux in and headlphone amp I've been using it to do my practicing when the kid is asleep.

Which brings me to two questions.

1) Can anyone with the B1on or a similar multi-effects unit give me some pointers on putting together a basic clean patch optimized for PSG practice.

2) By the end of the year or early next year I'd like to take my steel to an open mic. I'd probably just bring this rather than my amp to cut down on the amount of stuff I'm setting up. Assuming that I'm...
-A total beginner (been playing for less than a year)
-Playing with a small alt-country/americana group. (guitar, singer drums)
...any suggestions for what to include in a patch that will deliberately use effects to fill sonic space and disguise my mediocre skills.

If you're interested, here's the list of effects in the B1on.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... st_100.pdf
I've never really been an effects guy, but I'm darned impressed with this $50 box so far.
Roland Scholl

Post by Roland Scholl »

I'm using a zoom G1xon; given the fact that it's a guitar unit, I don't know about the dynamics of the B1on, but here's what I came up with: graphic eq with 800hz minus 3, hd hall factory setting, simple compressor as desired, no amp models. By looking at the effect list on the link you provided I'm sure you'd be able to integrate an amp model to improve the dynamics of your unit.
This is a home practice patch I created; live usage requires different settings depending on the amp you're using.
These units are fun to experiment with. Good luck!
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Thanks!
I'll give that a try. What general settings do you on your compressor?

Anybody else what to suggest a Sonic-space-filling, lack-of-talent-obscuring patch (or possible elements to include in such a patch) for an open mic?
Patrick Edwards

Post by Patrick Edwards »

Karl.
I want to do the same thing.Do a forum search for"Stereo hookups--zoom pedal"
and scroll to the link posted by Tommy Boswell "awesome tip for those with stereo delay pedals" { looked at your link to your pedal and it too has a stereo delay patch
good luck,
Pat
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Thanks Patrick,
Unfortunately I'll probably be running from my B1on into a mono bass amp. What would be your recommendation for settings on a basic Delay? I'll give the stereo thing a try at home though. I can run it through my Milkman and my bass amp.

Sorry all for the newbie nature of this thread. I've been a bassist for 25 years and the only effect I ever used was a little bit of a gain boost pedal so I'm a baby when it comes to effects.
Patrick Edwards

Post by Patrick Edwards »

Karl,

I thought that using stereo headphones would give the same effect as two amps, but as a headphone amp for quiet practice. I just wonder which would produce a better sound for steel ,the G1on or the B1on? Please post your findings.
Pat
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Patrick Edwards wrote:Karl,

I thought that using stereo headphones would give the same effect as two amps, but as a headphone amp for quiet practice. I just wonder which would produce a better sound for steel ,the G1on or the B1on? Please post your findings.
Pat
Thanks Pat,
That makes sense. Headphones would definitely give me some practice figuring out how to use stereo effects.

I've got no idea whether the Guitar or Bass version would work better. In general I'm inclined to lean toward bass gear just to be sure I'm going to get the bass register (most bass gear has a pretty wide frequency range) in much the same way that I'd recommend an acoustic guitar or keyboard always go for a bass amp over a guitar amp. However, I'm a very new PSG player so take that with a grain of salt.