Marty Muse with Robert Earl Keen

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Brabant

Marty Muse with Robert Earl Keen

Post by John Brabant »

I was listening to Robert Earl Keen on YouTube today, and was just blown away by the playing by Marty Muse. He really catches my ear. I am really surprised we don't see more discussion of Mr. Muse on the Forum. I plan to buy this Live from Austin, TX DVD. Just great stuff. Watch him tear it up at the end of this one, Shades of Gray, where Marty tears it up near the end of the song (close up on his playing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RArZGbD ... Gw&index=8

Would love to hear what Herb Steiner, et. al. can tell us about Marty, his history, his playing, etc. Herb some months ago identified him as the player with Jerry Jeff, when his playing previously had caught my attention. Oh, and it appears that he is playing a D-10 PP Emmons. Doesn't get any better...
Last edited by John Brabant on 1 May 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

First I heard of Marty was on the Derailers' Full Western Dress recording several years back. Lots of great tunes and steel by Marty.

If you like the Mavericks, Dwight Yoakam and that type of music, you'll surely like some of the cuts off this.

sample here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GumOLRqpxOg

BTW, I saw him on Bluegrass Underground a couple years back. I'm pretty sure it was with Leon Russell. Marty plays good stuff.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm finding it interesting how many people are playing push pulls lately.
in a modern age of superior machines with super compensated, split tuned lightweight multi pickup choiced tight solid actioned ultra fine steels,
many people are totally comfortable with a heavier clunkier limited function emmons...haha.

i get it. my zum is superior and topnotch and i've raved about it and used it to death for decades.
but lately i've been totally happy playing my p/ps.

and out of many recordings i've done, i can't necessarily remember which i used.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Right on Chris but when I saw you decades ago at the Yellow Rose you were playing a Bud if my memory is good tonight? J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

you are right jr! a white professional....
that must have been before 1982.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Marty is a member here. Why don't you just contact him yourself?
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

he gets great sound out of this shobud pro 11
great player :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSz1Lb1UETk

p.w
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Paul Wade wrote:he gets great sound out of this shobud pro 11
great player :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSz1Lb1UETk

p.w
Paul, you beat me to it! I think it's time we had Marty come back for a feature... it's been too long!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

ha Stephen .
your right you should have him back. like to know
what his amp setup in that vid is?? you guys have all the the fun down there :) i got to make it down to Austin one of these days...

p.w
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Been seeing Marty out west lately with REK for the "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" every fall. He's also very impressive playing slide style lap steel on some of REK's bluesier numbers.

Joe
Marty Muse

Post by Marty Muse »

I just came across this thread and I can't help but agree with Herb! I am here and appreciate the nice things sent my way. Paul and Stephen, where are you thinking about having me back? I'm pretty sure I would love to come back. I have a couple of months off from my gig w/ Robert Earl Keen and have been enjoying playing around Austin with my good friends the Derailers and Bill Kirchen. I am at the Spoke with the Derailers every Thursday through the end of June and also at the Spoke on May 21st and June 18th. Come on out and say hi.

Hey Joe, can't wait to get out to California again. Will give you a shout when we do.

Thanks everyone.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Marty Muse wrote:I just came across this thread and I can't help but agree with Herb! I am here and appreciate the nice things sent my way. Paul and Stephen, where are you thinking about having me back? I'm pretty sure I would love to come back. (snip)
Marty, I messaged you on FB... we've got June open (19th) if you're game. Come out tomorrow (see the ASGC ad in Events) if you can get away!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Man, that is a cool song with some great picking! :D

Kind Regards, Walter