UPS delivery masterwork

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Damir Besic

UPS delivery masterwork

Post by Damir Besic »

this is how ups delivered guitar I shipped

there was no duct tape on the case when i shipped it, they actually dropped it, and then taped it with a duct tape, and delivered it like that...
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Is the guitar OK?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Mike Perlowin wrote:Is the guitar OK?
we don't know yet, buyer is taking it back to UPS tomorrow, and have them unpack it...they are paying for a new case, I know that...
Bob Hamilton

Ups

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Ouch, is Fedex any better?
Damir Besic

Re: Ups

Post by Damir Besic »

Bob Hamilton wrote:Ouch, is Fedex any better?
I don't think so, but this is what happens when you don't leave handle sticking out, they can't grab the box, with the handle sticking out they can carry it easier...this guitar was "professionally" packed by UPS store employee...
Bob Hamilton

UPS Store

Post by Bob Hamilton »

I always leave the handle out and draw arrows with printing saying "handle" . Will the UPS store do that if requested?
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

That seems to be their 'standard' shipping.. I've had 2 guitars delivered in that condition. One had the pegs broken off the tuners, and one just had the box ripped and the case scarred up. I've had slightly better from FedEx.
Lane Gray

Re: Ups

Post by Lane Gray »

Bob Hamilton wrote:Ouch, is Fedex any better?
All of the big three have the same system for stuff too big or heavy for the conveyor belt. The carts are fairly prone to dropping stuff off them. Whether your stuff drops is a matter of luck.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Well, they are people, and in my small town APPROACHABLE people. I've known the local franchise owner for fourteen, sixteen years now. A long time back I brought an unwrapped steel down there and using his stuff, showed them how I wanted it done (all pre-arranged of course). And a fixed-neck guitar on another occasion. It's as much about the "theory of packing" than anything else - steels or a heavy solidbody guitar kinda break THEMSELVES up if they can move around. Now I let him do it, they are liable but I've had no problem. I DO know that there's a certain amount of luck, but I still think that you improve the odds by making a cooperative task out of it.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I was told very clearly by UPS if I pack they don't pay, not much cooperation possible ...
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Employees at UPS stores are not necessarily experts at packing. In fact they can be exactly the opposite, as I found out the hard way. I bought a steel from a nice gentleman 2000 miles away, and he told me in an email he was going to ship the steel to me in its case, but without a box at the UPS store's recommendation. That was the best way, they assured him, because the UPS folks can just simply pick it up by the handle and carry it, and the case would protect it. By the time he got my reply asking him to have it overpacked in a box at my expense, he had already shipped the steel. Needless to say, it arrived damaged. The case had split on the corners and the steel had been scratched by the case nails exposed inside. Luckily the damage was not as bad as it could have been, and repairable. But the lesson for me was to never trust a shipping store employee to know how to (or even whether or not to) pack a steel. I imagine there are many of them that would do it right but there apparently is a full range of expertise out there, from ace to nil.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I've shipped many guitars in the last 2-3 years, all with handles sticking out, almost never got damaged, last few guitars UPS packed in the box without handles sticking out, and I already had 2-3 guitars damaged...
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

FWIW- I shipped my Williams back to Williams for some work by FED-EX on two different occasions and I had no problems either time.

As a side note: TSA bent almost every rod underneath my Carter on a trip to Alaska. Bottom line is,nobody cares anymore.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Charley Bond

UPS' handywork

Post by Charley Bond »

I had a SUPER Sierra D-10. It was their show guitar. Don Chritensen told me that guitar had been stolen at a show in the past. It was Red Birdseye Maple with more levers & pedals than one could count.

UPS dropped it & totally destroyed it. I think it was $3000.00 from insurance. That was about 1996. Don built me a SD-12 Uni.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

You can't put something that heavy in a cardboard )box with no protection around it (at least Styrofoam on the corners) and expect it to arrive safely. The employee that packed that should be fired. I've never shipped an amp or guitar without at least 1 inch of Styrofoam insulation completely around it. It costs a bit more because it increases the total size but its worth it. "you can pay me now or pay me later"
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

2" foam in the corners. Always plan for poor handling in transit. Add about $20 to the cost of packing.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20A ... 0Amps.html

I also have a page that shows where I use industrial bubble wrap but hesitiate to cite that because almost nobody has nay of that laying around.
Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

It almost looks like all that was done was the guitar was put into a cardboard box. Even if this is what you've done for several guitars in the past, in my opinion it's only a matter of time before something happens. Should have been packed a little better. I've shipped quite a few guitars, both acoustic and electrics (including a few Gibsons, and we all know how fragile they are) and never had an issue, but I am probably a little overkill on packing, but then again, none of my instruments have ever been damaged. I've also shipped a few tube amp chassis with tubes to a guy I really trust and love his work in New Hampshire when I lived in Denver and never had an issue with those either, and have used UPS, USPS and FedEx. It's all about preparing for the worst by overpacking. It might cost a little more because of the added weight, but I feel it pays off if it prevents damage and the fact act you don't have to go through dealing with a claim.

I can tell you right now, the second UPS sees those pics they will INSTANTLY deny that claim in a split second. They usually want to see guitars double boxed. I usually put my guitars in the case in a shipping box, then put that box in a second shipping box with the corners and voids filled with foam, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc. No way a 50-70lb steel is protected in just a cardboard box.
Dick Chapple Sr

shipping and packing.

Post by Dick Chapple Sr »

I too have shipped several guitars over the years with no damage to any of them, I sure hope I don't see a first.
The first thing I do is make sure the guitar cannot move about inside its own case. I put protective foam on the fret boards and loosen the strings. The foam also keeps the strings from rubbing on the pups. I fill in and build up around the tuners with foam, then pack crumbled newspaper around in the case to be certain the guitar cannot shift around. If the case is in poor shape, I use good quality duct tape or gorilla tape to re-enforce the edges.
Next I build a cardboard box to put the case in and put cushioning foam on the corners. Then fill in the voids with styrofoam boards and crunpled newspaper. I seal the box well, every edge. Then use strapping tape and run around the middle of the length, width, and breadth of the box.
Next comes nylon rope, can be bought dirt cheap at harbor freight. I make a rope handle by running rope around the perimeter of the box, tie together and make a strong duck tape or gorilla tape handle by wrapping the tape around the rope. I poke holes near the bottom of the box to run the rope through so it stays where it should for balance when the box is picked up by the handle.
then comes the second box, with cushioning in the corners and after placing the first box in it, I use crumpled newspaper to fill the void. I cut an open space for access to the rope handle. I will not expose the handles of the guitar cases so that shippers can sling the box around and damage or yank the handles right off. But it will be extremely doubtful anyone is going to pull a nylon rope in half. While guitar case handles are handy for carrying our guitars around, I just don't think they were meant to be used as shipping handles, I know, there are cases built our guitars to handle it, but the standard guitar cases that come with the guitars generally aren't strong enough. should I buy a guitar from someone I much prefer they don't expose the guitar handle, not only for possible damage from poor handling but also an exposed handle is a place for water to get in the area during rainy snowy wet days.
UPS wants double boxing.
A note on pedal steels that have a compartment for the legs. You must be sure to use something like proper sized blocks of wood that fit in the leg compartment so the guitar body doesn't slam against the thin compartment wall and break through which allows the guitar body to shift around in its own case and cause damage.
I would have to pay someone a big chunk of change to pack the way I do, it takes quite a bit of my time, but it is worth it to me to know the recipient is happy.

:) :) :)
Dick
Dick Sexton

Packing...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I've shipped steels and amps.

Always used Greg Cutshaw's method as a guide. Cardboard from a "Shipper", ie. "You Haul" etc. Double boxed(build your own boxes). All corners "Double/Tripple" protected. Speakers covered with thin plywood if available. Steels braced inside their cases.

Pack as if it is going to be handled by gorilla's.

Pack it, like you would like to receive it.

Pack it yourself, only you can do it right.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I can't stress the importance of sturdy spacer-blocks of wood the brace the pedal-bar compartment.

I had a steel arrive here, shipped by someone who should have known better (!), that was so distorted that all the cross-rods had become dislocated! They ultimately made good on their error but had they used wood in the small compartment it would never have happened.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Damir,
I start by putting a couple of canvas straps around the case. That way, no matter what happens, the case wont open. Then I box in the case with styrofoam insulation panels from Lowe's, held together with lots of duct tape. Then make a cardboard box. James Morehead gave me a great tip about handles. I didn't want the leather handle from the mint old '63 case hanging out. James told me to go to the pet store and buy a nylon dog collar and attach it to the handle rings on the case. Works like a charm. And I take pics of every step of the packing process. Here's a pic. You may have eo zoom in to see the dog collar handle clearly.

PS; You can see I like the clear packing tape with the fiberglass threads in it.. "Strong stuff!"
Last edited by John Billings on 5 Apr 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

John Billings wrote:James told me to go to the pet store and buy a nylon dog collar and attach it to the handle rings on the case. Works like a charm.
I just got off the phone with him, and he didn't let go of any secrets like that one. Super idea!

It is unfortunate that you need to understand the carrier's machinery and handling process to best protect your package. Still seems reasonable to expect compensation for the damage if it is packed as required. If 2" foam corners and accessible handle are required for delicate gear that weighs more than 50 pounds, why can't they simply be required?

Damir, I sure hope you and the buyer come out OK on this.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

glad i'm not one of those guys that buys and sells regularly. seems like more trouble than it's worth.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Spending 30 bucks on packaging material to send something worth two grand or more is worth the time, energy and money!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

That's why I never buy or sell anything that has to be shipped. I wait till I find something local, or withing a few hours drive. Took me over a year to find my Mullen like that, but it was worth the wait.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.