Have a guitar, amp, volume pedal & tone bar...what else?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

Carl Heatley wrote:Is there anyone giving lessons on SKYPE?...Just a thought!
Thought about that as well, and yes, there are guys who do that. I think I'll use it as a last resort. There is a well-known guy thats sort of in the area, but he's about a 45-60 minute drive, but really, let's face it, if I'm serious about learning how to play this crazy contraception the drive is worth it, right?
Neal Goodloe

Post by Neal Goodloe »

I am learning as well, and in the interest of domestic harmony, I am using a Vox headphone amp plugged into the output on the volume pedal.

What she doesn't hear can't hurt her!
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

Hey Scott
Welcome to the lifetime school!
Leave all the effects alone until down the road, 'cept maybe a touch of reverb. Ya wanna learn clean! That way you can LISTEN to what you're really puttin' down!
Have fun.
Pat
Last edited by Pat Moore on 28 Mar 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Woitach

Post by Christopher Woitach »

I live in Portland, OR, and would fly to Dallas to study with Maurice Anderson - approximately 8 hours of lessons....

It's a hard instrument, and a 45 minute drive isn't that big a deal
Christopher Woitach
cw@affmusic.com
www.affmusic.com
Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

The Winnie Winston & Bill Keith book arrived today that was suggested in this thread, and I was able to track the guitar on UPS. I should have a 73lb package arriving a week from today!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Back in 1983 I had the Winston/Keith book well in advance of receiving my first steel. Time spent with the book prepared me to hit the ground running when the steel arrived. Just having a clue as to the common string grips and the use of the AB pedals to get from I>IV, V>I meant that I could get some sweet and familiar sounds right from the get go.
Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

Jon Light wrote:Back in 1983 I had the Winston/Keith book well in advance of receiving my first steel. Time spent with the book prepared me to hit the ground running when the steel arrived. Just having a clue as to the common string grips and the use of the AB pedals to get from I>IV, V>I meant that I could get some sweet and familiar sounds right from the get go.
Heck, I need a book just to tell me how to put the thing together once it arrives! When I was young I always wanted to be a drummer but joked that I never took it up because I wasn't coordinated enough to use all four limbs at the same time. Now I have to learn how to use all four limbs AND my knees?!
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

You just bought a very nice steel guitar. It will be more than you will ever need. By any chance, is it that good looking red one? Hope it is, because it is a killer!!! Good luck, you just joined the group. Ronnie
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the madness. It's a "nice little hobby."
Carl Heatley wrote:You may want to try a drum throne with a lockable seat top
Good suggestion. You don't want the seat to rotate. "Un-tight butts will drive you nuts."

Drum thrones are inexpensive, and height adjustable. How high? Where the top of your thighs are parallel to the floor is a good starting height. Adjust the rear legs of your steel for about 1" clearance above your legs.

Dan
Bobby D. Jones

Have a guitar amp and tone bar what else.

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Since you are getting a volume pedal with the steel, Great. If it is a pot and string set up. I would suggest you order a new 500 K pot and put it on a shelf where it is handy. And find some string you can use to replace the string if needed. A pot can go dead or scratchy in just minutes when ITS time comes. If you are confident to do small things mechanically, A set of Allen wrenches are something you will need. Welcome and Good Luck.