edit

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

edit

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 Apr 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Really nice, Doug. I love standards on steel, and that is a great one. Also, that quad looks insanely clean for a 60 year old guitar!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks, Scott. I bought this quad two years ago. It was in mint condition when I got it. It has a few scratches and dings now, but that's fine with me. Instruments were made to be played and a little bit of wear is a good sign, in my opinion. When I got this Stringmaster there was a lot of beginner instructional material in the case... real simple stuff. The guitar never left the home of the original owner and it had been stored for years. I always wondered why a beginner/student would buy a 4-neck professional steel guitar? There was something wrong with that picture... all that easy lesson material, some hand written, inside a Quad case!
Will Houston

Post by Will Houston »

Nice one, as usual. That my be the first time i've seen a quad played, at least up close and clear. Ya she looks mint.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Doug, great playing as always ! And I agree, I really like standards played on the steel...is the top neck a baritone tuning ? I have to admit, my first steel was a used Fender quad...I was working in a music studio as a guitar teacher in the mid 60s and my instructor (on both guitar and steel) Bill Pruitt had his quad in the back closet and sold it to me for $150 when I got an interest in steel (which came out of him teaching a student Steelin the Blues..that knocked me out and made me want to play steel...I was in such a hurry to learn pedal steel that I traded it back into him in a couple of years for a Fender 400....gosh how I wish I still had that quad ! Anyway, thanks for posting that video...nice work, as always !
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, the front neck is a baritone tuning. Fender put an odd tuning on that neck at the factory, I think they called it A Major/Minor... a combination tuning. I opted for C6 baritone tuning. So on this song I'm playing C6 standard tuning and C6 baritone, same intervals, different octaves.
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Nice Doug! I alway though the rear neck with the one with the strings pitched lower.
Joe Elk
Todd Goad

Post by Todd Goad »

Very nice playing and on a very nice guitar :whoa:
Todd
Mullen G2 "THE SAVIOR" BJS Bars Peterson Stroboflip Tuner NV400 GoodrichL20
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Joe Elk wrote:Nice Doug! I alway though the rear neck with the one with the strings pitched lower.
Joe Elk
The 'front' neck is the one closest to the audience. The 'back' neck is the one touching your belly.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yep, that's it. The front neck is at the front of the guitar and rear neck is at the rear of the guitar (where the player is) ;-) Lately I've met a couple of players who think the front neck is the one closest to the player and the rear neck is the furthest away. I can't understand that concept.

By the way, I've noticed that two or three necks can be activated at the same time by pressing down the buttons together. But when that's done, the output and the tone of each neck is diminished (no pun) quite a bit. I'd rather activate just one neck at a time to get the maximum output from each neck.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Doug Beaumier wrote:Lately I've met a couple of players who think the front neck is the one closest to the player and the rear neck is the furthest away. I can't understand that concept.
The easiest way to explain/remember it is that the Fender logo goes on the front of the guitar.

I must admit though - I always get confused when people talk about the front/rear pickups on a Tele or whatever - on my guitars, all the pickups are on the front! I always say neck/bridge.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...the Fender logo goes on the front of the guitar.
Yes, and we sit behind our steel guitars (the rear), not in front of them.
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Thanks for catching me and for the information. I generally use inside or outside neck. I will do it next time I Promise if I don't forget. At 78 sometimes it
happens :)
Joe Elk
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, inside-outside works well.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

You must have really stretchy arms, Doug! :)
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

When I was playing a T-8 Stringmaster I had one neck with bass strings on the bottom 4 strings. I would pretend I was a bass player when the need arose. :whoa:
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It's a long reach to that outer neck, but well worth it to get the low octave!
Jim Hoock

Post by Jim Hoock »

That is awesome! What is in the floral cup that inspires you?
Fender FS-52
1960 Fender Deluxe 8
2014 GeorgeBoards S8 Koa
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Coffee! I'll be posting another video with the quad soon. The audio will be quite a bit better than this one. Thanks!
Gerald Cook

Post by Gerald Cook »

Doug, what a beautiful sound!! I have a Magnatone T-8 that I thought was a "simple sounding" guitar until I had someone that knew how to play it put it through what it "could do". I was astounded. Decided to hang on to it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Gerald, yes, hang on to your Magnatone T-8. Those are great guitars.