Foot Problems

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Poole

Foot Problems

Post by Bob Poole »

Just wondering if anyone has experienced swelling/pain with their Achilles tendon?My RIGHT one is killing me.I play a LOT so my left foot,being on the volume pedal gets a lot of movement.I don't recall ever, any kind of injury.I was wondering about possibly a repetitive motion thing...I'm using a Goodrich L120 (low profile) & lately, an old Emmons pedal....this has been going on for quite a while(since before the Emmons pedal)but has recently gotten really bad.any ideas????
Last edited by Bob Poole on 17 Mar 2016 7:47 am, edited 9 times in total.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

If you notice it hurts more in the morning and goes away throughout the day it may possibly be bone spurs.

I had to have surgery to remove 6 spurs that were inflaming my tendon on my volume pedal foot. I noticed swelling,redness along with being very tender to the touch around the back of my heel.

It took me 6 weeks before I could work the volume pedal again.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Left foot on Volume Pedal. Do you have left handed steel? :?

If you are having some type of medical issue, the height and/or angle of the pedal could affect it (or lessen the pain).

I have foot problems but its different, mine is Neuropathy caused by chemo. Sometimes I'm just "pedaling by instinct" as I can barely feel the pedals.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i want to know about the left footed pedal also!
Bob Poole

Pedal

Post by Bob Poole »

Excuse me Chris,I meant right...ooops a mistake,everybody makes 'em....well....i guess some folks don't...sorry,I was distracted,shouldn't have been talking to anyone while typing....hope I didn't offend anyone.
Mike Bowles

foot problems

Post by Mike Bowles »

i have some bad discs in my lower back and have trouble using my vp would like to find something that don't work as easy as my Goodrich 120 but I don't want to have another power supply to hook up any info. would be appreciated. oh by the way the bad discs causes a numbness in my right foot.
Mike Bowles
Charley Hill

Re: Pedal

Post by Charley Hill »

Bob Poole wrote:Excuse me Chris,I meant right...ooops a mistake,everybody makes 'em....well....i guess some folks don't...sorry,I was distracted,shouldn't have been talking to anyone while typing....hope I didn't offend anyone.
Offend anyone...here? :lol:

Gotta have skin like an alligator......

Right or left, sounds like you have a bone spur like I had. They make a "Boot" thingy that they gave me. It immobilizes the foot which lets inflammation calm down.

The Boot Coupled with anti inflammatory meds should fix it. Of course, I am not a doctor so take it for what its worth.
Tom Kraemer

Post by Tom Kraemer »

Hi Bob
Sounds like you might have Achilles Tendonitis, or inflammation of the Achilles' tendon. Overuse is frequent cause. Other possibilities include: bursitis (behind tendon), partial tendon tear or less likely Plantsr Fasciitis.
Treatment includes: relative rest, ice, anti inflammatory meds (i.e. Ibuprofen, Aleve), gentle stretch and eventual strengthening of calf, injections and rarely, surgery.
Prognosis is good, but can be more serious and chronic if neglected. Achilles rupture can occur if left untreated. Spurs (as mentioned) are bony and, if present, likely long standing. They would predispose the tendon to overuse inflammation.
Got to throw in the disclaimer here...if not improving see you PCP, orthopedic or podiatrist.
Best of healing my friend
Tom
Williams
S-10. 3x5
Desert Rose, Vintage Pro
S-10. 4x4. purchased 1/2014
PV NV 112 amp. Goodrich-120 VP
Bob Poole

Thanks Guys

Post by Bob Poole »

I appreciate all the info...may try the boot. I think we have one around the house from when my wife hurt her foot last summer. I have a appointment with my doc anyway in a couple of weeks or so & will see what they have to say.man,it hurts.I had something similar going on with the bottom of my heel several years ago....it eventually went away on its own.
Dale Foreman

Heel Spurs

Post by Dale Foreman »

I have the same problem. Surgery is 7 weeks downtime so I'm going to wait until I retire at the end of the year and get it fixed. I've tried everything except that $ 300 boot that my insurance won't cover. Hope y'all get better! Getting old sucks! Lol!
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Bob Poole

Thanks

Post by Bob Poole »

Thanks Dale....yep,when I checked on surgery the last time(about 6 years ago,except it was bottom of my heel) they told me about the same thing-a couple of months downtime) couldn't afford it then,can't now.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

The Boot requires 2 weeks of use with the anti inflammatories. It worked for me..... was a basket case more so than normal.

Its worth a try if you have one. 800mg of Motrin is what they gave us in Iraq. Called it "Ranger" candy. Make sure you eat if you take those things. If not, talk about a belly ache.

Hope you get better, soon! The pain associated with such ailments can be debilitating.
Bob Poole

Post by Bob Poole »

Thanks Charley
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Not to down play your problem. But due to a back injury. I can no longer pivot my left foot from side to side. Oh maybe for a few mins. So splitting pedals for any length of time, is out of the question. As you know playing E9 is all about splitting pedals. I seldom play anymore. But when I do. It's mostly C6th where splitting pedals can be avoided and not give up too much real estate.

To get back to your problem. Before the injury, I almost never used a volume pedal when playing around the house. Just lazy I guess. When more volume or sustain was needed. I just dug in and picked a little harder. I do this even when using a volume pedal. I've never been a volume pedal pumper unless needed for and effect.

My point. You can keep your chops up and just give that right foot a rest till the problem clears up. Hope so. And best of luck to you.

I don't have a youtube of me playing without a VP. I'm thinking Danny Sneed may have several. The link here is not E9. Just the first that comes to mind. Hope it makes my point that one can play without a volume pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_896zkBbYY
James Jacoby

Re: foot problems

Post by James Jacoby »

Mike Bowles wrote:i have some bad discs in my lower back and have trouble using my vp would like to find something that don't work as easy as my Goodrich 120 but I don't want to have another power supply to hook up any info. would be appreciated. oh by the way the bad discs causes a numbness in my right foot.
I have 3 compressed discs, and both feet are numb three quarters of the way, up to my knees. I do have movement in both feet, but little normal feeling. I have no problem with the VP, but I have to frequently look down at my left foot, as it tends to move slowly backward off the pedals, and I don't feel it moving. So far I'm getting by, but it may get worse, in time. You have my sympathy, Mike! I use passive pot Goodrich pedals, and love them, but I have no ideas to help you solve your VP problem! Sorry about that! -Jake-
Warren Johnston

Foot Problem

Post by Warren Johnston »

Hi Bob,

Try this,its not expensive.
I have had similar problems.Get a piece of cloth and fold it so it gives your instep support with foot wear on. Not so that you feel a lump but makes your foot feel nice and comfortable. Even my doctor was impressed. At the price its worth a try.

Cheers,
Warren.
Carter Universal,Quilter Steelaire combo,
Zoom MS50G.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Bobby Boggs wrote:Not to down play your problem. But due to a back injury. I can no longer pivot my left foot from side to side. Oh maybe for a few mins. So splitting pedals for any length of time, is out of the question. As you know playing E9 is all about splitting pedals. I seldom play anymore. But when I do. It's mostly C6th where splitting pedals can be avoided and not give up too much real estate.

To get back to your problem. Before the injury, I almost never used a volume pedal when playing around the house. Just lazy I guess. When more volume or sustain was needed. I just dug in and picked a little harder. I do this even when using a volume pedal. I've never been a volume pedal pumper unless needed for and effect.

My point. You can keep your chops up and just give that right foot a rest till the problem clears up. Hope so. And best of luck to you.

I don't have a youtube of me playing without a VP. I'm thinking Danny Sneed may have several. The link here is not E9. Just the first that comes to mind. Hope it makes my point that one can play without a volume pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_896zkBbYY
Bobby,

I need to come over and take a youtube video of you playing then. Bob, et al, BB or Double B as we call him around here can play his hiney off with or without a volume pedal.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I feel for anyone with foot/leg problems that plays the PSG. I have real bad sciatica (100% of the time now), diabetic neuropathy, and after about 1 set, I lose all feeling in my right foot. It feels like I have a concrete shoe on. Often, my foot will only push the pedal down so far and no further. I compensate by having some signal going through my pedal in the off position so I can get the volume I need about halfway in the pedal's travel. At times, I don't even get up from my seat at break times because of it. Good luck with your issues.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

If you have a Telonics volume pedal, you can order the remote sensor and mount it on a hat and have volume control during the recovery period for surgery by tilting your head.

The different tapers control the rise time of the volume, so you don't have to use the complete travel for effective volume control.

These are software based pedals, so there may be other options regarding pedal travel vs
level change.

Hilton pedals have taped holes in the heel end of the pedalframe and he sells matching adjustsble feet that raise the heel end upwards, reducing stress on your heel when playing at low levels.
Mike Bowles

foot problems

Post by Mike Bowles »

thanks warren I just tried a folded wash cloth on my vp it really helped with my problem I will do some more experimenting tomorrow it made me smoother with my vp. thanks again.
Mike Bowles
Steve Allison

Post by Steve Allison »

Happens to me when I eat rich foods! It's called GOUT and I get it in the same place as you. Just getting over it now. May not be in your case but get a Dr. to check your Uric acid. Hope its that simple for you. Hurts like hell though. Can't walk on it or hardly get your shoe on and off... :(
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

If you can't find a solution to the actual foot problem, you should contact Dave Beaty at the Telonics company. My right foot is fused together from an auto accident. I have limited range in that foot, especially "backwards" (closing the volume pedal). an Emmons pedal or the like is out of the question for me because they tilt up in the front to begin with. I could almost use a Goodrich type pedal, but only the last third of the travel (full open). If you are on a loud dance gig, that is more than enough. Most of us play pretty much wide open on a dance. In other situations it won't fly.

Enter Dave. He found out about my problem from another player. Dave called me and had me measure the range of motion with a protractor and an inclinometer. I gave him the figures and they built me a pedal with those limits in mind. My foot can go a lot farther forward than "flat", where most pedals stop. Mine goes beyond flat and allows me to use the complete range of the pedal. If not for the pedal, I probably wouldn't be playing anymore. I still can't do anything longer than about a 90 minute gig due to pain, but I am thankful to just be able to do that. Please check with him and his crew. Tell him I sent you. A nicer guy there isn't.

Good luck to you. I really hope you find a solution.
Emmons/Sho~Bud/Blanton, Fender/Peavey.
Telonics pedal
Bobby D. Jones

Foot Problems

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

You can tweek a Volume Pedal to make it more comfortable. One thing that can be done is take a piece of wood, Shape it to fit the top of the VP and cut a taper on it. Make the heel thicker and toe thinner to allow a better foot angle. Just attach with Scotch permanent mounting tape mount it to the top of the pedal. If your pedal has a Pot and string for control. Replace the string pulley with a smaller one. This gives faster travel, So less foot movement will be needed. May have to reset the stops too. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.