Carter Guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Troy Porter

Carter Guitar

Post by Troy Porter »

Does anyone know where I can get a pull rod that raises string 7 on the C neck of a Carter guitar, (Pedal 8) The rod is 10 1/2" long and looks like about 3/32 rod.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Troy,
Al Briscoe at steel guitars of Canada has all the Carter parts
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The drawback with Al is the $40 minimum. If all you need is the rod...
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

One can get the rod (brass) itself at a hardware store. Cut it to size and tap the threads yourself, if you are in a hurry for it.....
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

That shepherd's crook might be fun to fashion.
Will MSA barrels fit in the hole?
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

If you have a good hobby shop nearby, see if they have one of these RC aircraft push rods made by Du-Bro:
http://shop.dubro.com/p/12-4-40-threade ... ries?pp=12

They are the same diameter as the Carter rods and are available in 12" and 30" lengths. They are steel but not stainless (which is more brittle) so the hook may be easier to form and less likely to break. (I've had several Carter rod hooks break just from removing or attaching to the pull pin. Very annoying!) Also these rods are pre-threaded on one end (4-40 rolled). The threaded portion is 3/4", a little longer than on the original rods, but you could cut a little off if it binds on the changer hole.

They are cheap, about a buck each. If you can't get them locally they are available online. I got some from Advantage Hobby (online) for a Carter that is missing some rods, but haven't put them in yet.

I got this idea from another poster, maybe Ian Worley?
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Lane, the MSA barrels are too big! I got the SS rods from a welding supply shop. I think they were 10 lbs for $50. When I told them I only needed four rods, they just gave them to me!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Check with Jim Palenscar.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

John Swain wrote:Lane, the MSA barrels are too big! I got the SS rods from a welding supply shop. I think they were 10 lbs for $50. When I told them I only needed four rods, they just gave them to me!
You can get smaller quantities from Amazon. That is what I did. I did buy some of the barrels with a screw for Al Brisco, and made rods for my A,B, and C pedals. No more bends in the rods, and better yet, no dog bones. I would do all my rods on my E9 neck, but those barrels are $6.00 each.

By the way, the holes in the Carter bellcranks are 3/16".
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Troy, just as a help to you I can send you the rod as can others who have been mentioned. Just pick you someone and go from there.
rollermusic@cox.net
Jerry
Troy Porter

Post by Troy Porter »

Thanks everyone for all the info. I went down to Justice guitar shop yesterday and Fred Was able to make the rod for me. I installed it this morning and it works perfect.